Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default Whatís up with the abs obsession?

Can someone please tell me why so many young males are obsessed with getting a six pack to the point of starving themselves and having next to no muscle mass ?

I would like to have a six pack but itís not my number 1 priority, would much rather broad shoulders, a thick back, big strong arms and nice butt any day over a six pack.

I can understand guys wanting one but the obsession of having a six pack at all coast I just donít understand .
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Abs on a skinny guy are like boobs on a fat girl: they don't count.

I blame the media and magazines. I also think that when the general publich started to realise that the people like Arnie that they were idolising, were using assistance, they realised that their physiques were unattainable. Combine that with steroids being villified in the media and people need a new goal physique: along came the Abercrombie model with abs. Job done.

Al
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm with LTL. I think they are simply being surrounded by it on TV shows, MMA, advertisements, etc.

Somewhere along the line certain marketers have realized that it can be just as profitable to make young men feel insecure about their weight. Also, if they know they can't build muscle, why not sell products to them to help them lose fat. That way you have your bases covered and can pimp products to nearly everyone.

I think part of it is a cultural trend, and the rest is marketers noticing this trend and pushing it harder, like a flywheel. That's my best guess.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote