Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Where does the modern bodybuilding philosophy come from? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11070)

abett07 09-10-2012 12:38 PM

Where does the modern bodybuilding philosophy come from?

Can someone please tell how the modern bodybuilding philosophy originated?

These are some comments that came from trainers and members at my gym

Bodybuilding is all about isolating individual muscle groups
Strength training and bodybuilding are completely separate
Deadlifts will not help build big traps
Machines and cables are just as effective as free weights
Dips will only work the triceps if you have a narrow gip and lean forward
When using correct form on the bench press should work nothing but the chest
Never use full body workout because you will not have enough energy to work out hard

Where does all this nonsense come from? Whenever I say to someone that our muscles are designed to work as unit they just say thatís not what bodybuilding is about .Itís as if people donít care about how the body is designed to work and are just interested in a set of bodybuilding rules.

Fazc 09-10-2012 12:40 PM

The continuing saga of Abett07 Vs the Personal Trainers at his gym!

abett07 09-10-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 275501)
The continuing saga of Abett07 Vs the Personal Trainers at his gym!

just today my mate who is a total novice got a program from a trainer at my gym.I told him all it is good for is toilet paper

they are nice people the trainers at my gym but the stuff they say trust me would have you guys angry to .

Lots of good pt's around , most of them at my gym just talk so much crap

BendtheBar 09-10-2012 12:56 PM

Complex topic. Not always simple answers to the questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abett07 (Post 275498)
Deadlifts will not help build big traps

Split training forced all exercises to be placed into body part boxes, so that they could be assigned "properly" for programming. An unfortunate consequence of this is that over the years certain compound exercises have grown to be associated with a single body part part, and not seen effective for others.

A lot of the materials I read in the bodybuilding genre over the years placed deadlifts in a "lower back box". Some people simply interpret this as meaning it simply not a good trap builder.

Bench press is another great example. The bench press builds amazing front delts, better than any front lateral exercise I've ever seen, but you rarely hear anyone talking about it because it belongs in the "chest box."

abett07 09-10-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 275506)
Complex topic. Not always simple answers to the questions.

Split training forced all exercises to be placed into body part boxes, so that they could be assigned "properly" for programming. An unfortunate consequence of this is that over the years certain compound exercises have grown to be associated with a single body part part, and not seen effective for others.

A lot of the materials I read in the bodybuilding genre over the years placed deadlifts in a "lower back box". Some people simply interpret this as meaning it simply not a good trap builder.

Bench press is another great example. The bench press builds amazing front delts, better than any front lateral exercise I've ever seen, but you rarely hear anyone talking about it because it belongs in the "chest box."

does this thinking come from certain sectors of the fitness industry that stand to make significant financial gains ?

if every single muscle needs to be worked from multiple angles than more equipments is required , a gym membership becomes a must and gyms can train a greater number of people in a shorter time frame.

BendtheBar 09-10-2012 01:29 PM

Regarding my point, I don't think it's driven by that. Weider sure invested a lot of time and effort into promoting a new system. He knew what he was doing.

I think modern chain gyms are more about making people feel comfortable. They don't want hardcore lifters because that means equipment wear and tear. Shiny, inviting equipment that is easy to use is all amount comfort. I think over the years the industry realized that most soccer moms aren't going to squat, but will join if the equipment looks clean, inviting and free of meatheads.

kitarpyar 09-10-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 275512)
I think modern chain gyms are more about making people feel comfortable. They don't want hardcore lifters because that means equipment wear and tear. Shiny, inviting equipment that is easy to use is all amount comfort. I think over the years the industry realized that most soccer moms aren't going to squat, but will join if the equipment looks clean, inviting and free of meatheads.

Exactly.

I can see this first hand, now that my university has a swanky new gym that opened this summer. It is bigger, has more equipment, which are shiny alluring. And lotsa machines and treadmills too. More and more students are now rushing off to the new attractive gym.