Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast
Default Maintaining body weight

Does anyone have tips on how to maintain a certain body weight rather than gaining more size?

I'd imagine it would involve a stricter diet and lower training volume, but if anyone has done this or knows how I would appreciate any advice. I'm currently not interested in getting much bigger; maybe 5-10lbs more at the most.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Creatine Mono
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Does anyone have tips on how to maintain a certain body weight rather than gaining more size?

I'd imagine it would involve a stricter diet and lower training volume, but if anyone has done this or knows how I would appreciate any advice. I'm currently not interested in getting much bigger; maybe 5-10lbs more at the most.
I too want to cap my body weight, but on the contrary, I want to gain size at the same time. I am 5.10 and 205 lbs. I see people who are lighter (as low as 175 lbs) than me but have ripped muscles, unlike me.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

This is a delicate ballance of your macro's added with cardio as needed.

The big one to remember in doing this is muscle weighs more than fat. So you need to:

Use mirror and tape mesure more than scale, but scale is important also in tracking your progress as long as you weight in right away after you pee when you wake up.

This will take out the daily intake vereable. Threw out the day every little thing will change your true weight.

If your macro's are out of balance, even if you hit your cals on point you won't accomplish your goal. Your body will rebel and go the other way and store fat.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Not wanting or trying to fight, but I do need to offer one correction.

Muscle is denser than fat, thus taking up less space, but a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post

Its largely knowing what your your personal calorie needs are in conjunction with the type and amount of activity you do each day, which would include employment work, training, etc. Cardiovascular activity isn't required to maintain an average (but the same) weight per week.

Weight isn't going to stay exactly the same each day, but you can manipulate it within an approximate +/- 3 or so pounds--when you work at it long enough to know yourself and your specific numeric numbers. Also, you have to consider feces in the colon and urine in the bladder, as these contribute to weight variance at the time of the weighing. Maintaining a certain weight is possible, but you have to accept a "normal" small variance.

For example, lets say you calculate a MT-Line that includes all activity, but your carbohydrates are high (say around 200 plus) for your weight, this alone could have a major affect on your weight variance though your at calorie maintenance.

The bottom line is determining your calorie maintenance according to your activities, and then manipulating the macros, and adjusting these when getting bodily feedback if the variances are to high for your liking. I do this all the time to maintain by specific body weight on an average.

If I want to binge, I prepare for it a week in advance, by keeping calories at MT-Line, reducing carbohydrates which will eventually reduce glucose stores. My body weight drops (water retention is lower), but at the end of the week (or so), my body is prepped to absorb A LOT of carbohydrates without (TISSUE GAIN). The next day, (post eating passed MT-Line and a lot of carbohydrates), I am usually leaner than the day before, with weight gradually rising back to normal as I eat more traditional normal carbohydrates. During this time I usually space out a glucose depletion workouts during the week, and then change the routine the following week to something else.

Any more information let me know.

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 09-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster2981 View Post
I too want to cap my body weight, but on the contrary, I want to gain size at the same time. I am 5.10 and 205 lbs. I see people who are lighter (as low as 175 lbs) than me but have ripped muscles, unlike me.
Isn't your goal powerlifting? If so, ripped muscles are the last thing you should be focussing on anyway
Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post

Muscle is denser than fat, thus taking up less space, but a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound.
Thats were the tape measure comes in. I'm NOT saying a pound of feathers weight less than a pound of stones, just the same mass of fat weights less than the same mass of muscle.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Thats were the tape measure comes in. I'm NOT saying a pound of feathers weight less than a pound of stones, just the same mass of fat weights less than the same mass of muscle.
Yep This is exactly how I ended up looking like I was losing weight whilst actually gaining weight with lean mass and dropping some bodyfat (not much of the latter, didn't have much to drop)...I got slimmer and heavier at the same time.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Yep This is exactly how I ended up looking like I was losing weight whilst actually gaining weight with lean mass and dropping some bodyfat (not much of the latter, didn't have much to drop)...I got slimmer and heavier at the same time.
Exactly. People will gain weight when dieting and working out and think there diet is all wrong not realizing they are loosing inches. Meaning they are dropping fat and gaining healthy and more muscle.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Freak on Wheels
Agreed. we are on the same page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I would rather have the muscle density than the fat bloat! I will gladly trade muscle weight for fat any day of the week.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 09-05-2012 at 01:29 PM.
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote