Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Stupid Muscle Building Questions Thread (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10975)

Tom Platz 08-30-2012 11:43 AM

Stupid Muscle Building Questions Thread

Have a muscle building question?

Post it, no matter how stupid you think it is. You'll get a 100% flame-free answer...

All members are encouraged to respond.

70sBB 08-30-2012 12:04 PM

I often hear that the combination of deadlifts, rows and pullups is a good back workout. Is balance important when working back, meaning is it ok to do more lat work than mid-back work or vice versa?

troy86 08-31-2012 12:08 AM

I don't understand bulking. How do I determine how much to eat each day? I keep being told to eat a lot or eat big but I don't know what that means.

muscle_g 08-31-2012 07:48 AM

Besides squats, what other leg exercises did you use to give you those larger then life legs?

emekajokammor 08-31-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy86 (Post 272716)
I don't understand bulking. How do I determine how much to eat each day? I keep being told to eat a lot or eat big but I don't know what that means.

The biggest key to bulking is to consume more than you use, creating a caloric surplus at the end of the day.

The very first thing you need to do is calculate your current macros. Those are the details that will help develop a planned approach.

Funny how someone asks "Hey what do i need to do to bulk?" and someone says "Eat alot!" :confused: what does that mean? lol!

Eating alot to you might not be enough to gain weight but if you know exactly how much you are eating then you will know exactly how to increase your surplus substantially.

Also, your training should be exact. Train hard, not long. Get in and get some good lifts, maybe about 15min steady state cardio, and home to eat, sleep, and grow.

Lastly, when calculating you caloric intake just add up your macros (protein, carbs, & fats) and use these numbers:

Grams of Protein x 4
Grams of Carbs x 4
Grams of Fats x 9

Each gram of carbs and protein equal 4 calories and each gram of fats equal 9 calories

Hope this helps

btw, i'll be doing a video series for Athletic Xtreme on Bulking and Leaning. I'll be sure to post the link where we getting rolling :D

BendtheBar 08-31-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emekajokammor (Post 272776)
btw, i'll be doing a video series for Athletic Xtreme on Bulking and Leaning. I'll be sure to post the link where we getting rolling :D

Nice :mh:

WilldBill88 11-14-2013 03:48 PM

Does calf development have anything to do with improving squats?

OMS 11-14-2013 07:32 PM

nevermind

Tom Platz 11-14-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMS (Post 426902)
nevermind

Nirvana. Next question!

Tom Platz 11-14-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilldBill88 (Post 426855)
Does calf development have anything to do with improving squats?

It can improve stability. There is no downside to stronger calves.