Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
repo
New Brawn
Points: 136, Level: 2 Points: 136, Level: 2 Points: 136, Level: 2
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: food lol
repo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good posts

OK got it thank you guys for all the help will keep you guys posted on progress
repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

I'm personally following Reg Park's 5x5 routine, I'm only about 3 months in but, my numbers are going up and seeing some muscle gains as well. Everyone here has great advice to give and I'm sure whatever 5x5 program you choose will produce results.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill'88 View Post
I'm personally following Reg Park's 5x5 routine, I'm only about 3 months in but, my numbers are going up and seeing some muscle gains as well. Everyone here has great advice to give and I'm sure whatever 5x5 program you choose will produce results.
I plum forgot about the Reg Park and Steve Reeves stuff. Good post, WildBill.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Do the program as writen. If you want to do "core" work, do it on weight lifting days, after your session. Do cardio whenever, days off, after your weight training session, whatever.
Excellent point. Cardio can be done whenever. I would prefer to do it on a lifting day AFTER the weight training. The thing to remember though is focus on the main lifts (squats, deads, presses, bench presses, etc.). If those start to stall out, make sure you're getting enough food and rest. The second thing to check is the assistance exercises and cardio. Cutting back on those, if necessary, may help prolong your progression.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
i was looking at the strong fit. I've been working out for 2 years solid . I looking to start ground up .I've cut 30 lbs and want to cut 15 more by Nov to be down to 180 i'am 5ft 10in. i would like to maximize my size, and strength at 180 before i bulk if that makes any seance . thank for the help
You know, I might get some flack for this, but I don't know about that approach. I've waffled for several years about when to cut, when to bulk, etc. My current opinion (and I think BendtheBar will back me up on this) is to spend at least two years getting as strong as you can and maximizing your gains. THEN if you want to see what all that hard work has resulted in, go ahead and diet down. Am I recommending you become a fat tub of goo? No way! But it is possible to eat in such a way so as to maximize your training. These 5x5 routines are great routines, because they are linear progressive, meaning that you progress on every lift every week or every session. There are no built in deload periods. Because of that, you'll eventually be putting great stress on your body, and you're going to need all the energy you can get.

Again, I'm not saying "Don't plan on losing another 15 pounds while you're trying to get strong." I don't know you. I don't know your background. I don't know your motivation for wanting to be 180. I'm 5' 10", and 180 doesn't look good on me. I look frail and sickly. I get the sense that you're young yet. If so, I'd urge you to eat sensibly. At least at maintenance level. Maybe ever so slightly under if you feel you need to, but that will cost you down the road on the training front.

Again, I wish you well. Please put up a journal, if you haven't already. I don't have much time to poke around in other people's journals much, but I'll try to look in on yours once in a while.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
repo
New Brawn

repo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good postsrepo has made some good posts

i was at 230 for awhile n basically had to lose weight. i'm 39 lol not to young i'm not planing to stick to 180 it a starting point. i am at 193 now n have been able to martin some size, at this point losing weight is secondary if i get there good but when muscle gains start then 180 is out the window lol. as far as diet i just try to eat clean no carb or fat restrictions just try to eat balance.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #27
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
i was at 230 for awhile n basically had to lose weight. i'm 39 lol not to young i'm not planing to stick to 180 it a starting point. i am at 193 now n have been able to martin some size, at this point losing weight is secondary if i get there good but when muscle gains start then 180 is out the window lol. as far as diet i just try to eat clean no carb or fat restrictions just try to eat balance.
Ah, yes, the balanced approach. Very well, as you were, then.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #28
repo
New Brawn

yea balance is king. lol i got to say i have learned a lot in few days here..
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Glad to help. Welcome aboard. Lots of good folks here. I've learned so much too.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
You know, I might get some flack for this, but I don't know about that approach. I've waffled for several years about when to cut, when to bulk, etc. My current opinion (and I think BendtheBar will back me up on this) is to spend at least two years getting as strong as you can and maximizing your gains. THEN if you want to see what all that hard work has resulted in, go ahead and diet down. Am I recommending you become a fat tub of goo? No way! But it is possible to eat in such a way so as to maximize your training.
I agree 100%. Eating properly doesn't have to result in excessive fat gains.

Too many guys walk the fine line, afraid if they eat 300-500 more calories per day that it's going to cause them to gain 50 pounds in a year. This is:

A) False
B) Ignorant of the reality that if you do gain weight too quickly, you will adjust and pull your calories back a few hundred per day.

I see a lot of guys jump back and forth between bulking and cutting cycles, never making much progress..

The fastest way to build muscle and strength is to eat a hair more rather than a hair less.

If muscle size is not the be all, end all goal than by all means eat a little less. Just remember you will limit muscle gains, and probably won't look all that impressive when the extra few pounds of fat are off.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote