Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Stuart McRobert

Anyone have any Clif's notes on Stuart McRobert's training? And any opinions....

All I know of him is that he over uses the term hardgainer Never read one of his books.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I picked up brawn, the 2nd edition copy last week. It's actually a very good book.

I have not read his other stuff yet. He does make a point of using the term hardgainer a lot. He uses it to describe the majority of people, but especially those that are very thin framed. All in all, I think he's trying to make the point that, weightlifting is not easy for anybody, save a very small select few.

He paints the picture of the easygainer as the minority, tending to seperate them as there success has little to do with what the majority of people need to focus on.

I'll write more later, gotta go for now.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I picked up brawn, the 2nd edition copy last week. It's actually a very good book.

I have not read his other stuff yet. He does make a point of using the term hardgainer a lot. He uses it to describe the majority of people, but especially those that are very thin framed. All in all, I think he's trying to make the point that, weightlifting is not easy for anybody, save a very small select few.

He paints the picture of the easygainer as the minority, tending to seperate them as there success has little to do with what the majority of people need to focus on.

I'll write more later, gotta go for now.
Thanks GL. I just ordered one of his books last night, along with Doug Hepburn's biography. I'm anxious to read both. I wasn't sure if McRobert was a pure HIT man, or not.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I have Third Edition Brawn. I've read through it a couple of times and actually refer to it frequently.

He is a proponent of medium to high rep squatting, using the squat and partial deadlift to build a secure foundation, letting those lifts ignite the anabolic fire. Once you've gotten a squat worhy of respect, then the body will respond better to the smaller exercises. You'll find him talking about decreasing the frequency of workouts and using micro-loading techniques in order to sustain progress. Yes, everyone is a hardgainer, and he has absolutely no time for steroids.

I would like to read more of his stuff. It seems fairly sound and practical for the "recreational bodybuilder." He's managed to distance himself from the mainstream and has thus carved out his own niche. His books would be good to have on hand if for no other reason than just to gain a different perspective.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I would like to read more of his stuff. It seems fairly sound and practical for the "recreational bodybuilder." He's managed to distance himself from the mainstream and has thus carved out his own niche. His books would be good to have on hand if for no other reason than just to gain a different perspective.

Good post Val.

I believe that even serious natural BB's could prosper from this approach.
As I look at the old York programs, and the info I have from the, Classic Physique Builder blog, I find this book to be a summation of a lot of that info.

That different perspective you speak of, is where I live these days.

Check out the CPB, and get his free E-zine.

Classic Physique Builder
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I ordered McRobert's book The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique.

And ditto, good post big V. I, like GL, have been reading a lot on the older training styles. It's refreshing to me to not have to think about steriods and supplements.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

I was reading some thread that mentioned this guy's name. Does he have a specific routine? Somebody help me understand what he trains like?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
I was reading some thread that mentioned this guy's name. Does he have a specific routine? Somebody help me understand what he trains like?
Not so much an actual routine, rather an approach to training.

Casey Butts article "the rules of productive weight training", would be a very good replacement.

The book is a good read, and worth buying. When my free time opens up a bit more I plan to tear into the book really hard, and pull it apart.

After spending so much time recently researching wholebody workouts, I'm forming some new opinions on the subject.

One opinion is this.

If you have always done splits. then switching to a wholebody program will require that you deload initially. Your body is not ready for the stress of this type of training. You must step into it gradually. Deload and build back up, othewise you run the risk of stalling out.

I think this is where people fail when getting onto wholebody routines. They come at it with there current split numbers, and work those all in combination. This is too much at one time.

Wholebody training is as specilized, and complex as any split system is.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Good post GL.

To add to this...I have always done splits. I never never full body routines existed until several years ago. Sounds silly, but I lived in Weiderland.

Trying to transition to fullbody routines, for me, is like trying to tightrope on razor wire. I WANT to do it, but I feel awkward, and like I don't know what I'm doing.

I try, just like glwanabe states, to jump in too deep too fast. I end up worrying so much about proper warmups from body part to bodypart, that I tend to get frustrated. I feel like most of my routine is warming up.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Thanks MAB,

Sport specialization is a different animal unto itself. That said, I believe that a person could go very far performing in powerlifting events with the old heavy routines.

Wholebody does not have to mean repeating the same workout ad infinitum.
A, A/B, and A/B/C programs can be employed with a high degree of conjugate style program effect.
You still work your wholebody, but attack it a little differently, and you can target specific areas as needed, while keeping the systemic benefits of wholebody training.

A simple repeating program is good for beginners, and they can quickly move into, or just start with and A/B style. Specific movements are important, but utilizing the proper progression scheme is just as important.

Non linear progression has been written about as being the fastest way to gains, once linear progresson stops for novices. The question I have at this point is. According to Casey Butts article about the rate of muscle gain, gains slow down to nearly a stop as you near natural limits. At that point, does the progression scheme really matter anymore? Would then going back and slugging your way through a linear progression actually make more sense at that point?