Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #21
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

How did this thread go from a bodybuilders keeping stage condition all year to a power lifters condition and people being called fat?

If power lifters want to justify there body weight, I feel it should be in the powerlifting mini forum not the bodybuilding mini forum.
Can we say thread jacked?

Just my 2 cents.

(Wasted a hour typing just to delete it all because I didn't want to offend anyone and keep my response politically correct. )
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #22
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
How did this thread go from a bodybuilders keeping stage condition all year to a power lifters condition and people being called fat?

If power lifters want to justify there body weight, I feel it should be in the powerlifting mini forum not the bodybuilding mini forum.
Can we say thread jacked?

Just my 2 cents.

(Wasted a hour typing just to delete it all because I didn't want to offend anyone and keep my response politically correct. )
Not sure I've ever seen a thread that remained 100% on line with the original post, they always digress, and I think the powerlifter may have been for comparison of how things are misinterpreted...just that it may have ended up being referred to more, in the end.

You should have just posted your post, I would have, I doubt anybody would have taken offence.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Because it was aimed at the kids who want to stay lean all year round that I have to answer questions from on a daily basis, who think 15% bodyfat is fat, and that staying ripped year round is feasible. I thought perhaps you and other bodybuilders might chime in and guide then, providing some insight as to why 6-8% is not feasable.

Quote:
Not sure what you're talking about here, to be honest. No one's justifying anything. Please re-read the thread.

Each day I have to answer upwards of 75 questions from young lifters, and a good portion of them want to be ripped year round. This was directed to them, and has nothing to do with "justifying being fat". It's about the myriad of kids who think 6-8% year round is feasible.

These kids also consider Poundstone to be fat. This is a direct quote from another forum. They are believing in false standards, and promoting them.

Quote:
I feel it should be in the powerlifting mini forum not the bodybuilding mini forum.
This has nothing to do with powerlifting.

Poundstone was merely a physique example. In addition, he's not a powerlifter.

This is indeed a question that belongs in the bodybuilding forum since it is about physique shaping.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-17-2012 at 09:34 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #24
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
It's the nature of discussion. We are like wayward sheep, and you are the shepherd that returns us to the right course.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #25
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Because of an over-emphasis in some circles on abs over anything else and because of silly divisions like 'powerlifter versus bodybuilder', people have forgotten that the key in all cases is to get stronger and bigger, because you can't be either without those two.

Instead of getting any appreciable size, kids who look up to bodybuilders anymore stay small, stay ultra-lean, and think they can take close-up shots of their arms to make themselves look huge. There isn't any way to make a 13" arm look big in person.

There is a difference between looking big and being big. And the level of leanness seen in pictures around the net isn't a livable level for 98% of people. Kids need to focus on building mass and then chiseling down. You can build a rock if you want, as long as you know you'll be a pebble when you chisel. Old-school lifters built boulders, then came out look like the Statue of David. That's what being lost nowadays.

I don't think we do anyone any favors by promoting unrealistic expectations. I see this thread and the posts within as trying to be more realistic.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #26
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Let's also not forget that most of those teen "bodybuilders" THINK they are 8% bodyfat, when in actuality they are closer to 12%
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #27
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tournaments Won: 1

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

I think we have to be careful here tossing around terms like justifying bodyweight. Heavier powerlifters are stronger. In my time on this forum I have learned a lot about powerlifting from the members. From what I can tell heavier powerlifters aren't just undisciplined slobs who recklessly add weight and then justifying it by saying I'm a powerlifter. Weight appears to be beneficial for strength, at least for the natural athlete if I understand Fazc and BTB correctly.

Weight plays a role in both sports. In bodybuilding athletes seek a temporary unhealthy bodyweight level to show off their hard work. In powerlifting some powerlifters choose to seek an unhealthy bodyweight to become as strong as humanly possible.

I attended a local natural USAPL powerlifting meet this last year with my sons. I don't think there was an athlete over 260 pounds. I am guessing here but most were 230 pounds or under.

Judging the weight of average powerlifters by looking at top athletes is like going to an IFBB pro show and then expecting natural bodybuilding contests to look about the same.

Last edited by MikeC; 08-17-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Bolded text by mistake!
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I thought perhaps you and other bodybuilders might chime in and guide then, providing some insight as to why 6-8% is not feasable.

This has nothing to do with powerlifting.

Poundstone was merely a physique example. In addition, he's not a powerlifter.

This is indeed a question that belongs in the bodybuilding forum since it is about physique shaping.
I know Poundstone isn't a P/L, but he is also around 30% fat here and is a bad example for this reason.

The more muscle, in which no one will argue Poundstone has a mass of. The more fat you can carry and to people look ripped because of the muscle mass.

Sorry, I forgot the bodybuilding area covers everyone.

As far as the 6-8% thing. For this reason above I never ever use B/F % with new people. 95% of people under esimate B/F. Its human nature to feel good so people always take a lower number. Pitch test? OK as rule of thumb but still way off. Readings are much lower than real %.

Theres no way a street walker or gym rat bodybuilder can safely hit or even maintain 6 -8% safely. Not bashing just fact.

Staying lean and build? Thats a delicate prosess even for the most dedicated to there nutrition Pro bodybuilders.

A safe and good range if you want a % to build? It will be slow but you can build, would be the 10 - 30 range. Seeing your abbs will depend on the muscle mass you have.

The more mass you have the more fat you can carry and still see your Abb's.
So you want to see your Abb's and build faster, get at it now hard and loose them for 6 - 12 months, then cut till you can see them then hit it again.
The 6-12 months with out them will let you build a little faster then seeing them right away and trying to build.

So if you just starting out and think 6 - 8% range and make great gains or even maintain year round healthy and keep your strength. If you just blow this off your only looking at getting lean and not your muscles strength or heath. Call Jenny Creig or Richard Simonds. They can get you there.

This is 10%. relaxed and flexed. Shirt off at beach, can Bb press 250lbs. at 6'2" and 170lbs. , slow size gains, big fast lift gains, but also under my (a top pro in my class) guidance on and off for 1 year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0619.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	5295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0625.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	5296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0622.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	5297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0633.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	5298  
Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #29
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
With that attitude 140 pound men without abs are now fat. We now have the brahs calling guys without abs fat, and skinny guys without abs are now feeling pressure to lose more weight because that's all they know to do.

I have nothing other to say than this is shortsided and idiotic.
generally, this is my opinion:
unless i specifically ask for your input, i dont give a shit what you have to say. 140lbers...Call me Fat, and I'll remind you how similar you are to a 12 year old prepubescent girl.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I think we have to be careful here tossing around terms like justifying bodyweight. Heavier powerlifters are stronger. .
Sorry I worded it like that. I just get sick of hereing (not here) about new P/Lers talking about getting fatter just to shorten there ROM so they can lift more. Then they turn around and get all bent out of shape because people call them fat. Fat describes your body structure it has nothing to do with how strong you are. Sumo wrestlers are very strong but no one, not even themselves will deny they are also fat, but they are fat for a reason. There sport.

You make some good points about on this forum..

I need to remember to keep my responses based on this forum and not others.