Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Female help in lifting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10822)

noclue 08-11-2012 11:45 AM

Female help in lifting

Ladies on this site, or if the guys want to answer too that is fine, what is the first thing I should work on? I have a decent body already, I am 5'5" and weigh about 130 pounds. I do not really need to lose weight but is there some body part I should concentrate on first?

5kgLifter 08-11-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 267472)
Ladies on this site, or if the guys want to answer too that is fine, what is the first thing I should work on? I have a decent body already, I am 5'5" and weigh about 130 pounds. I do not really need to lose weight but is there some body part I should concentrate on first?

The best and wisest thing to do is not to concentrate on ONE body part; if you choose a fullbody routine approach, every area of the body will get its fair share of work...same goes for a split body part approach, which works on all areas throughout the week...but, for beginners, the fullbody approach is a better choice of starting place.

gaspers04 08-11-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 267478)
The best and wisest thing to do is not to concentrate on ONE body part; if you choose a fullbody routine approach, every area of the body will get its fair share of work...same goes for a split body part approach, which works on all areas throughout the week...but, for beginners, the fullbody approach is a better choice of starting place.

I concur with 5kg, A whole body routine sounds right for you.

Jen 08-11-2012 02:49 PM

My advice is start with the big lifts. Squat, Deadlift, Bench. I'm partial to a simple 5X5 routine. It's easy to follow and helps you practice form with the big lifts.

dmaipa 08-11-2012 03:01 PM

is there a specific goal you are after? or just overall fitness?

Jen 08-11-2012 05:40 PM

I will also say, I am a brand newbie also, so I probably shouldn't be giving any advice! lol

5kgLifter 08-11-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 267565)
I will also say, I am a brand newbie also, so I probably shouldn't be giving any advice! lol

Being a Newbie and not knowing about something are two different things and nobody could accuse you of the latter ;) you just did a meet, remember, which means you know what you're doing in terms of training, form etc. :)

Ryano 08-11-2012 05:46 PM

In both bodybuilding and powerlifting, you should work "whole body" but concentrate on your weakest point.

noclue 08-12-2012 10:32 AM

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will be focusing on the whole body then. As for my goals I have never lifted and just want to bulk up some for a change. I am in decent shape but just want to add some definition.

Transformed 08-22-2012 06:24 PM

Work your whole body. That is the best way to go.