Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

[quote=Jen;264117]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
The OP posted a pic of Tom Hardy in 'Warrior'. Hardy as Bane in 'The Dark Knight Returns' looked flabby and mediocre.

With all due respect -- this is delicious, not flabby and mediocre..... at least in my opinion.........
Sure, if you're looking at the average schmuck on the street, then I would agree, but not a supervillain with the massive amount of muscle and miniscule amount of bodyfat that Bane had/has in the comic. Plus, Hardy was on steroids because you can see his bad case of bacne in the on-set pics. Taking both of those points into consideration, Hardy, and I suppose his personal trainer, did a lackluster job getting his body to look the part, even with the assistance of drugs. I have very high standards when Nolan had a $250 million budget to get the job done.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I did not read the comic versions, haven't seen one in decades. That said, I have to agree with DW. I was disappointed in the flabby look that I saw on the screen. I expected a large muscular look. With that mask, they could have used anybody to play Bane and just dubbed the voice afterwards. Could you imagine Poundstone in that role, with hmmm, the guy from "The Unit," (Jonas) dubbing in the voice? To me it would have been far more menacing. I have to admit, I almost laughed the first time Bane spoke, I thought I was in a subway commercial.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:

Sure, if you're looking at the average schmuck on the street, then I would agree, but not a supervillain with the massive amount of muscle and miniscule amount of bodyfat that Bane had/has in the comic. Plus, Hardy was on steroids because you can see his bad case of bacne in the on-set pics. Taking both of those points into consideration, Hardy, and I suppose his personal trainer, did a lackluster job getting his body to look the part, even with the assistance of drugs. I have very high standards when Nolan had a $250 million budget to get the job done.
I concur. Hardy wasn't all that bad, but with all due respects to Hardy, I believe some wrestler from WWE might have been a better match for this role. Heck, if they didn't want a super-ripped look, Brock Lesnar would have been perfect. Or may be Bobby Lashley or Alistair Overeem.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Why would a world class director like Nolan cast a wrestler or powerlifter in his movie unless said wrestler or powerlifter was an established actor? Nolan usually only casts his favorite people in his movies and he uses them over and over. Nolan prided himself on grouding this franchise in the plausible, and I think he did a good job of that.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

I wonder what the non-lifting community thinks of Hardy.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
With all due respect -- this is delicious, not flabby and mediocre..... at least in my opinion.........
I tend to agree. Not about the delicious part, but the rest. The guy looks thick and strong. Real world type of strong.

If you went into the movie expecing Bane to look like he did in the comics, you set yourself up for disappointment. As someone else said, it would be too unrealistic for the world Nolan has set up in the last 2 movies.
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn

DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I wonder what the non-lifting community thinks of Hardy.
My younger brother started going to the gym about a year ago, but isn't nearly as serious about it as I am, along with the guys on this board. He was skinny-fat before he started, and still looks like that, rarely asking for my advice/help with the gym and diet. While we were discussing this topic yesterday, he said that my expectations for Bane were much too high, and that Nolan wasn't going for that "look" in his films. He also called me "biased" because I'm a muscular powerlifter. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by _J_ View Post
I tend to agree. Not about the delicious part, but the rest. The guy looks thick and strong. Real world type of strong.

If you went into the movie expecing Bane to look like he did in the comics, you set yourself up for disappointment. As someone else said, it would be too unrealistic for the world Nolan has set up in the last 2 movies.
Mediocre people see Hardy's mediocre physique and are impressed. I, on the other hand, am not.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Mediocre people see Hardy's mediocre physique and are impressed. I, on the other hand, am not.
Jesus, that's arrogant.

With respect to the casting of Bane, think about the movie from a demographics point of view.

A few OCD comic book fans will come to the movie with rigid expectations about what a certain character should look like. Their contribution to the revenue is minimal. Everyone else just wants to see a good movie.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Jesus, that's arrogant.

With respect to the casting of Bane, think about the movie from a demographics point of view.

A few OCD comic book fans will come to the movie with rigid expectations about what a certain character should look like. Their contribution to the revenue is minimal. Everyone else just wants to see a good movie.
If I had $250 million to spend, I sure as shit would find someone who had something at least remotely close to Bane's physique.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Jesus, that's arrogant.

This...

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote