Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Best lifts for MMA ? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10721)

abett07 07-27-2012 08:53 PM

Best lifts for MMA ?

Just out of interest which lifts would provide the most help for an MMA fighter ?

I am thinking Deadlift ,rows,power cleans,push press , bench press ?

how helpful would squats be ? your opponent is usualy in front of you so I dont no how much help back squats would be

markievicz 07-27-2012 08:59 PM

I would assume squats would be essential.the stronger your legs are the better.
I dont know much about MMA , but from the little I have seen your opponent may not always be standing front on.

leefarley 07-28-2012 02:02 AM

i used to train in the martial arts for a number of years karate,kick boxing and jujitsu were leg strength and endurance will help with stance work,footwork and kicking power and punching power correct punching technique starts from the floor up through the legs so its always best to have strong legs and core and upper body as well as legs.Also strong legs will help you down on the floor with leg locks and bars,so compound exercises like squats and deadlifts,clean and press,powercleans,overhead press,benchpress,rows,pullups/chins,dips will all help with strength and power.

abett07 07-28-2012 02:12 AM

would another squat variation such as the front squat or zacher squat be more helpful than the back squat ?

leefarley 07-28-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abettor (Post 263237)
would another squat variation such as the front squat or Zachery squat be more helpful than the back squat ?

well yeah the front squat could more useful for targeting the quad more but for me building overall leg and body strength and not just targeting a specif muscle group,no where in a combat situation would you use a specif muscle hence train with compounds using a full body workout,just my personal experience and what i have learned,i would use back squats first then maybe a couple sets of front squats to finish.

JacktheThriller 07-28-2012 06:11 AM

i would think strike training with bands could make you very very fast and powerful

Fazc 07-28-2012 06:22 AM

Get strong all over.

leefarley 07-28-2012 08:50 AM

yep build full body strength

oli 07-28-2012 12:30 PM

overhead squats & jump squats

5kgLifter 07-28-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abett07 (Post 263180)
Just out of interest which lifts would provide the most help for an MMA fighter ?

I am thinking Deadlift ,rows,power cleans,push press , bench press ?

how helpful would squats be ? your opponent is usualy in front of you so I dont no how much help back squats would be

Freedivers do weighted squats but they'll never need to carry a load on their back because they don't use tanks...so, the reasoning of your opponent generally being in front doesn't hold up and you could equally argue that you'll never push-press your opponent or "row" them and you'll certainly probably never need to powerclean them ;) as others have said, overall strength is the key.