Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Concentration (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10719)

lzaar 07-27-2012 06:33 PM

Concentration

How neccessary is concentration to you while you are lifting? I do not like to be bothered and really like to concentrate on my form. But I have seen other lifters not really so much paying attention to what they are really doing. I would much prefer to do my socializing after I am all done with my workouts.

gaspers04 07-27-2012 06:37 PM

Socialization must not be done in the gym, unless....... disregard. lol

Pull14 07-27-2012 07:06 PM

For me its all about consistency during a session. When I did train with others, I started the session off with distraction of socializing and whatnot. Because of that, it felt as though it was apart of the environment and it wasn't a distraction.

That said, I was able to shut off my mind within the second prior to a lift. Clear the mind and perform the lift before getting back to whatever it was.

On the otherhand when I'd start off training alone and someone or some distraction would come around half way through my session, I'd well... get distracted. That person or thing moving around or making noise was not apart of the environment before and is now sticking out like a sore thumb. My focus, as much as I try not, is diverted.

Same goes for music. If I begin a session without music, turning something on part way through a session becomes a HUGE distraction. But having it on from the beginning does nothing.

Either way, you gotta have a clear mind right before the lift and during it. Without that, it won't matter if your miles from a distraction or you have someone lighting fire crackers right next to your head.

leefarley 08-04-2012 05:27 AM

i hate being disturbed when i'm lifting it really p#sses me off

Ryano 08-04-2012 06:25 AM

I don't mind a little chit-chat between sets on heavy day when there is time between sets, but on a speed day it's bothersome. I don't rest long between sets. If someone wants to talk while I'm lifting, so be it. But I won't stop to listen.

IronManlet 08-04-2012 06:48 AM

When I'm training, I'm in kill-mode. Nothing more than a few words or a grunt or two between sets.

Conversation is for after training.

Fazc 08-04-2012 06:51 AM

Obviously during the set concentrate on what you're doing but I joke around between sets.

I learned early on you have to have the ability to disassociate yourself from the world when the set is about to start, but then relax in between sets. If you keep yourself hyped up for 1-2 hours you'll burn yourself out. Or worse try that on competition day where you could be lifting for 8 hours or more and see where that gets you.

People need to learn when to switch it on, and when to switch it off.

squatz 08-07-2012 01:29 PM

No talking for me. I get in and get done what I need to then I figure I can go out and socialize later.