Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Straps (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10567)

biggereachday 07-13-2012 01:32 PM

Straps

Is it a good idea or not to use straps when you go to the gym? I have heard if you use them on your arms, your forearms may not grow right. Is this true?

5kgLifter 07-13-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggereachday (Post 258981)
Is it a good idea or not to use straps when you go to the gym? I have heard if you use them on your arms, your forearms may not grow right. Is this true?

I use them if I'm doing lots of heavier reps and don't want to have to focus on grip the entire time, especially with the TOS; I'll also use them at the gym on the heaviest lifts, because they don't like people dropping weights and it's a distinct possibility.

My grip has still improved even using straps but I consider that I've used them sensibly and not for every rep done, so now I can lift heavier without straps than I could initially when I began.

As for the forearms, they're fine.

Hazzard 07-13-2012 02:51 PM

I use straps all the time now for rows and all really heavy work aside from deadlifts.

Mr.Silverback 07-13-2012 03:38 PM

I use them for heavy work and high rep work especially off my hands are pretty shot. As far as whether they detract from your forearm size and strength...well I believe that is something to be debated. Reasoning being is that I recently pulled 600# raw...but the kicker is I pulled it both with straps and without(forgot to mention in my log...) so that is a topic to be debated...lol either that or I'm weird
Silverback Barbell

Jen 07-13-2012 04:53 PM

I use them for my heaviest rows and deads.

And yes SB, you are weird ((kisses)) :D

Mr.Silverback 07-13-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 259035)
I use them for my heaviest rows and deads.

And yes SB, you are weird ((kisses)) :D

Hehe indeed lol

Silverback Barbell

zeuslet 07-13-2012 06:42 PM

I use them for heavy lifts. I have never heard anything about the forearms like that but each lifter is different.

TitanCT 07-14-2012 12:24 PM

dont leave home without them.

Fazc 07-14-2012 12:31 PM

I use them to prevent wear and tear on my hands and rotational forces on my trunk from alternate grip. Never had a problem with grip come competition time and my forearms are enormous.

IronManlet 07-14-2012 02:07 PM

I have mixed views on this.

For starters, I never really deadlift with straps. Getting into position with the belt + straps always threw me off - I prefer to just reach down, take some air, and pull.

I usually busted them out for heavy shrugs and occasionally rows. You can't really shrug heavy without them, as your traps are capable of shrugging much more than you can deadlift - but your grip is not! :mad:

However, at least for the time being I am foregoing almost all usage of any straps, as I am going to be placing a rather large emphasis on my grip strength.