Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Time for a changup? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10438)

IronWill 07-02-2012 09:21 AM

Time for a changup?

I've just finished up 3 consistent months of a 5x5 routine 3 days a week. My weights are still not really heavy compared to most on here. But in my 50s I'm feeling like I'm not recovering enough. I'm very happy with my routine and the results I gotten so far. Just feeling less lively than when the weights were lighter. So over the weekend I've read a lot of articles and I'm wondering if it's time to break things up to get a little more recovery time.

My main focus at this point is to just get bigger and stronger. I work out at home so I have only barbells, dbs up to 45# and a chin bar.

I love to hear suggestions from the family. :)

MC 07-02-2012 09:29 AM

How is your eating and hydration? Your sleep? Whenever my recovery seems poor, that is a signal to eat a little more (or readjust macros). Are you getting enough proteins and fats?

Rich Knapp 07-02-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronWill (Post 255788)
I've just finished up 3 consistent months of a 5x5 routine 3 days a week. My weights are still not really heavy compared to most on here. But in my 50s I'm feeling like I'm not recovering enough. I'm very happy with my routine and the results I gotten so far. Just feeling less lively than when the weights were lighter. So over the weekend I've read a lot of articles and I'm wondering if it's time to break things up to get a little more recovery time.

My main focus at this point is to just get bigger and stronger. I work out at home so I have only barbells, dbs up to 45# and a chin bar.

I love to hear suggestions from the family. :)

Everyone ages and recovers a little different. The one constant is your body never lyes. Liston to it. ;)
I agree with MC on take a look at your hydration and sleep. At your age I highly doubt you aren't eating enough seen as the metab runs so much slower as we age. People just love to keep eating as they did at 18 years old for flavor and taste, not how they need to for living and fuel.

IronWill 07-02-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 255792)
How is your eating and hydration? Your sleep? Whenever my recovery seems poor, that is a signal to eat a little more (or readjust macros). Are you getting enough proteins and fats?

Consuming lots of protein and fats. Have been low carbing tho. Sleeping very well lately.

jslep 07-02-2012 09:39 AM

You could try a deload week at the end of every month and keep the routine for 3 wks every month if its still yeilding results. Bump the reps to 10-12 and focus on speed and explosion.

BendtheBar 07-02-2012 09:45 AM

At some point fullbody workouts can get extremely taxing, especially if you are doing the same lifts each day. You have been making great progress, so I am not surprised that recovery is becoming an issue.

Jot down a basic outline of the lifts you do each day right now, and let us make some suggestions if we can.

Perhaps it might be beneficial to move to an A/B split 3 days a week, or something similar. It might even be the case that backing off the frequency a lift or two might help...

IronWill 07-02-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 255798)
At some point fullbody workouts can get extremely taxing, especially if you are doing the same lifts each day. You have been making great progress, so I am not surprised that recovery is becoming an issue.

Jot down a basic outline of the lifts you do each day right now, and let us make some suggestions if we can.

Perhaps it might be beneficial to move to an A/B split 3 days a week, or something similar. It might even be the case that backing off the frequency a lift or two might help...

What I'm doing currently Mon, Wed Fri:

DL 5x5 ramping sets
Squat ''
BB Row ''
OHP ''
Bench ''

Recently added in so light curling at end of each session.
Also, just changed from RDL to DL on Friday.

Last few weekends I have just been dead all weekend.

TitanCT 07-02-2012 10:00 AM

after every 12 weeks of lifting i take a week off to recover. i tend to have a need to heal up some. just my two pennies.

jslep 07-02-2012 10:15 AM

Do you alternate which lift you start with each day? And at what % of ME do you ramp up to each training day for each lift?

IronWill 07-02-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslep (Post 255811)
Do you alternate which lift you start with each day? And at what % of ME do you ramp up to each training day for each lift?

No, same order every session. I've just been adding 5# a week to all lifts. No % or anything like that.