Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Working out while traveling? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10419)

abett07 06-30-2012 12:43 AM

Working out while traveling?

In 5 daysí time I will be boarding a plane in Melbourne Australian and heading over to the USA for the first time ever for a 5 week holiday. I canít wait

Can you guys tell what the gyms at most hotels are like over in the USA?

Am I likely to be able to be able to get short term passes to any fitness centres?

Thanks for any responses
So excited

PowerBuilder500 06-30-2012 04:01 AM

It depends where you are going. I'm on the west coast and can't drive 5 miles without seeing a 24 hour fitness or LA fitness. The facilities tend to be big with a lot of machines, but dont accomodate olympic lifting. Static lifts can usually be done without a problem.

Then there's Planet Fitness, which kicks people out for breathing too hard. Fascists.

Having been a trainer at LA fitness for three years, I can tell you that getting a temporary pass is difficult. They make money off of longterm contracts, so you would be better off finding a smaller private gym chain close by and making a deal with the owner.

Nicer hotels will have a fitness center, but its usually a treadmill, a few 20lb dumbbells, and a universal machine.

abett07 06-30-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerBuilder500 (Post 255281)
It depends where you are going. I'm on the west coast and can't drive 5 miles without seeing a 24 hour fitness or LA fitness. The facilities tend to be big with a lot of machines, but dont accomodate olympic lifting. Static lifts can usually be done without a problem.

Then there's Planet Fitness, which kicks people out for breathing too hard. Fascists.

Having been a trainer at LA fitness for three years, I can tell you that getting a temporary pass is difficult. They make money off of longterm contracts, so you would be better off finding a smaller private gym chain close by and making a deal with the owner.

Nicer hotels will have a fitness center, but its usually a treadmill, a few 20lb dumbbells, and a universal machine.

that is a pain , just had a look at the photos of the fitness centre at my hotel in new york and they have about 15 treadmils but no free weights that i can see

would of thought that a treadmill would cost much more than squat rack and bench press

JacktheThriller 06-30-2012 06:33 AM

pushups situps air squats go to a park and do chin off of the the jungle gym

Tannhauser 06-30-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerBuilder500 (Post 255281)

Made me laugh.

To the OP: the USA has got to be one of the best places to travel for gyms. I've managed to get workouts in most places on a single visit basis, though admittedly this was some years back.

TitanCT 07-02-2012 10:07 AM

i always look up gyms in the area and pick a decent or nice hotel based on how close it is to a gym...

...wow. what the hell is wrong with me? hahah

5kgLifter 07-02-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abett07 (Post 255264)
In 5 daysí time I will be boarding a plane in Melbourne Australian and heading over to the USA for the first time ever for a 5 week holiday. I canít wait

Can you guys tell what the gyms at most hotels are like over in the USA?

Am I likely to be able to be able to get short term passes to any fitness centres?

Thanks for any responses
So excited

You're going on a 5-week holiday; use the time to explore some new sports, there will be plenty of challenges for your body to keep up with...absail, windsurf, surf, rockclimb...the list is endless...do you really need the gym in that time, especially if you aim to enjoy the holiday by keeping active in fun ways.

abett07 07-06-2012 05:02 PM

whats the best way to work the lower body out with dumbells?

and any tips for places to see in new york would be much appreciated