Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts
Default Proper form: dumbbell military press

Hi guys,

I currently have a question regarding proper exercise technique on the dumbbell shoulder press.

I used to bring the dumbbells down to the top of the shoulders and pressed them up a bit narrow to take advantage of my triceps strength.

It looked like this:
http://www.myhousecallmd.com/wp-cont...tary-Press.jpg

Recently a physiotherapist crossed my way and he corrected my for:

-Elbows UNDER the dumbbells/wrists . In my case the elbows were always behind them.
- Forearms perpendicular to the floor.
-Only lower to ear level.

Like this:
Seated Dumbbell Military Press | 2nd Wind Sports Training

-I tried to correct it this way but I have a hard time to do it . When trying to get the elbows under the dumbbells it feels like a strong stretch and its damn uncomfortable and difficult to keep this during the reps. I have the impression that i constantly have to push the elbows forward to hold the postion at the bottom of the lift.

- Also with this angle i cannot take advantage of my triceps strength to bring the dumbbells up. I am much weaker this way.

Here I want to ask the pressers which issues are important health wise. I pressed without issues 15 years this way.

Is the guy right?

Thank you!

Last edited by flow; 06-28-2012 at 12:05 PM.
flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Are you trying to work your shoulders, or your triceps? I usually do DB presses similar to the 2nd method you describe. Lower to just under my ears, arms inline with the DB, maybe a bit forward if anything at all.

Remember, anytime you change your form, you'll need to adjust the weights you're lifitng. If you drop down to where it is more comfortable and work your way back up, you'll have no problems, but it takes more time. Could also be another way to "shock" the muscles, as they say, spur more growth and development.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
flow
Brawn

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Well I used the form I can press the most weight with.

You know any drawback when the elbows are behind the dumbbell/wrist?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post
Here I want to ask the pressers which issues are important health wise. I pressed without issues 15 years this way.
I think this here is the bottom line, Flow. You know you have pressed this way for 15 years without a cause for concern. Just because some guy now say's it's wrong, does that delete your 15 years of experience? I would say, no

Stick to it, mate.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
flow
Brawn

Thanks Fazc