Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
BudBrown
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

BudBrown is off to a bad start
Default A confusing concept

Hi all,

Im a 300lbs 6'5" chubby guy that wants to change some things around. This starts me on an interesting question. I eat relativity healthy, I'd say 65-70% clean, which is what I was taught as a football player. I may need to clean up some, but i shouldn't be sedentary either. So I want to trim down and get cut, build my arms and shoulders, make the good stand out, and lose the fat not necessarily the weight.

So should I start eating only rabbit food? work out like that? what workouts should I be looking to do? I want to have a good cut, but I'm not trying to be a body builder competitively.
BudBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum Bud. Sorry for the slow response. This was in the Round Table sub-forum which is moderated.

Quote:
So should I start eating only rabbit food?
No.

Focus on the 2 things you can control:

1) Getting strong on the basic, compound movements.
2) Forming an eating plan that contains a reasonable amount of protein.

Given your height and weight I would say you could easily lose weight on 2500 calories per day. I would start around there, eating 200-250 grams of protein per day, and breaking up the rest between fats and carbs. Eat mostly healthy, but leave a few calories here or there for those craving moments.

After the third week assess how your eating plan is going, and make calorie adjustments from there.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-14-2012 at 07:51 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudBrown View Post
I eat relativity healthy, I'd say 65-70% clean.
That's 30-35% dirty. Cleaning up that will go a long way in cutting the fat down. Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
BudBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Focus on the 2 things you can control:

1) Getting strong on the basic, compound movements.
2) Forming an eating plan that contains a reasonable amount of protein.

Given your height and weight I would say you could easily lose weight on 2500 calories per day. I would start around there, eating 200-250 grams of protein per day, and breaking up the rest between fats and carbs. Eat mostly healthy, but leave a few calories here or there for those craving moments.

After the third week assess how your eating plan is going, and make calorie adjustments from there.

OK, what should I be doing to build though? I have several workouts that I can do, but my arms are no where near what they used to be. I want to build my arms up, build my chest up, and convert the fat. I'm not necessarily looking to "lose weight" I'm looking to change weight... does that make sense?

I keep hearing if I want the weight gone then I should diet, and that's an easy concept.

I also get the flip side, If you want to build mass quick, EAT (while working out). again simple...

I don't want to "lose weight" I want to get bigger, and convert the bad to good.

Sorry to re-issue the question, but how should I diet if I'm trying to build while cutting fat?

That is where im having the hang up.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudBrown View Post
Sorry to re-issue the question, but how should I diet if I'm trying to build while cutting fat?
You can't really ride two horses with one ass. In other words, it's very difficult to do both at the same time since they have different (opposing) caloric needs. Trying to do it will only bring about slower progress and can end up being very frustrating.

Best option would be to pick a goal (less fat or bigger muscles) and focus on it through completetion. Then visit the other goal. My recommendation is always to lose the fat first because it's easier, faster, and will put you in a better position to realize muscle gains later on.

If you decide to go the route of losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, the best way to do that is to eat maintenance calories and hope for a recomposition effect.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
OK, what should I be doing to build though?
Get stronger on basic, heavy compound exercises like squats, bench press, overhead press, rows, deadlifts, pullups, dips. Find a program that has you training 3 days a week, and includes many of these exercises. Focus on improving your form and getting stronger.

Check out some of the workouts on MAB:

Workouts - Muscle and Brawn Forums

I don't know where you workout, or what equipment you have access to, but something like this is a good choice:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/wor...y-workout.html

There are many choices like this that are equally as good.

Quote:
I'm not necessarily looking to "lose weight" I'm looking to change weight... does that make sense?
Certainly.

Quote:
Exactly how I posted above. You have to focus on the things you can control. You already have a fair amount of muscle mass, being a big guy. Will you gain more while cutting? Perhaps, maybe not. But you still need to lose fat.

Right now your goals are:

1) Lose fat.
2) Build muscle.

Losing fat requires a calorie deficit. Building muscle requires adding strength. This is a long term journey, and while you may not build a lot of muscle while cutting, you still need:

1) To lose the fat.
2) To get stronger.

These are the 2 goals, and they are ones you can control with planning and effort. You can't control how much muscle you can, or cannot build while cutting fat, so set that aside. You must focus only on the things you can control.

By building a strength base while cutting you will be in a great position to add muscle when you're done.

In addition, if you follow a plan like this I think you will be happily surprised by how good you look after you're done. You said yourself you're not trying to be a bodybuilder. The good news is that us big guys already have a solid muscular base...not bodybuilder level...but one that can shine with a good diet and strength training.

I hope this helps.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-14-2012 at 10:22 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
By building a strength base while cutting you will be in a great position to add muscle when you're done.
Great Point
Old 06-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
BudBrown

Quote:

Exactly how I posted above. You have to focus on the things you can control. You already have a fair amount of muscle mass, being a big guy. Will you gain more while cutting? Perhaps, maybe not. But you still need to lose fat.

Right now your goals are:

1) Lose fat.
2) Build muscle.

Losing fat requires a calorie deficit. Building muscle requires adding strength. This is a long term journey, and while you may not build a lot of muscle while cutting, you still need:

1) To lose the fat.
2) To get stronger.

These are the 2 goals, and they are ones you can control with planning and effort. You can't control how much muscle you can, or cannot build while cutting fat, so set that aside. You must focus only on the things you can control.

In addition, if you follow a plan like this I think you will be happily surprised by how good you look after you're done. You said yourself you're not trying to be a bodybuilder. The good news is that us big guys already have a solid muscular base...not bodybuilder level...but one that can shine with a good diet and strength training.

I hope this helps.
This is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks for spelling it out.