Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
70sBB
Brawn
Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts
Default Training more than 4 days a week

I've been reading and come to the conclusion that there is little reason for the average person to lift weights more than 4 times per week.

Last night my brother came home from college and he started talking about lifting 6 days a week during the summer. We had a debate about quantity versus quality and he thinks I'm wrong. To prove me wrong he now says he's going to do a double split and train twelve times a week resting only on sunday.

I bet him that I could make just as good of gains lifting only two days a week. Now that I opened my mouth I'm a bit nervous but am going to give it a try.
70sBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

This will be a great experiment. Eager to see what happens.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Interesting situation. I'll be curious if his 12 training sessions start to get lighter and lighter, or start to decrease to 10, 8, etc.

I tried a split like that once back in college when I had nothing else to do. I lasted 2 days.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I don't know, Faz and BtB seem to be doing pretty well on their training schedules which have them training most days. But then again twice or three times a week is also a proven method. Routine design and effort will be the determining factor of it's success. Good luck to you, a little competition is a great motivator.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Haha, I like this! You were debating 6 days a week training and to prove your wrong he's going to train 12 times a week!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sBB View Post
To prove me wrong he now says he's going to do a double split and train twelve times a week resting only on sunday.
Offroad is right, Btb and I have done well with frequent lifting and yes 12 times a week training for a few months was manageable.

But, I think unless he is very in-tune with his body he will struggle. I employed a good deal of cycling intensity, exercises and variations in what ended up being a relatively complex looking cycle to manage my workload. I also built up to this workload over the course of around 3 years.

I'm looking forward to hearing his results!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Training frequently is freaking awesome, you don't get better at something by doing less. Every day you come to the gym it's a +, every day you don't come it's a -.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Bodybuilding is a different kettle of fish from what I'm doing, but hitting everything at least twice a week worked for me when I was at that stage of my life.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

He will have to set up the progression with a lot of thought he wont go far twice a day banging out whatever reps for whatever sets lol
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
jhew
Master of disaster
New Brawn
Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT
Fav Supp: FOOD
jhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good posts

Depends upon the training level of the lifter. A novice is going to make gains on just about any training schedule. 2 days may have some good results if your intensity and progression are appropriate. 6 days a week is possible as well, but I pity your brother, because I tried it for about a month in college and couldn't keep up the intensity. keep us posted on the progress both of you respectively make.

You can't kill a man who refuses to die.
jhew is offline   Reply With Quote