Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

No, you're not too old. With that said -- I will echo what the others say. Take it slow, give yourself time to recover between lifts, and get some good instruction! I will be 39 in a few months and notice a considerable difference in recovery time from when I was a whipper snapper
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
E_Barnes
New Brawn
Points: 290, Level: 5 Points: 290, Level: 5 Points: 290, Level: 5

E_Barnes is off to a good startE_Barnes is off to a good startE_Barnes is off to a good start

Ok then thanks for the advice, guess I will stay on this site and do my best. Can not wait to learn all I can and try to lift a decent amount. Looking forward to meeting all of you .
E_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

May I suggest you look in the Beginners Workout section for a good routine? Ask questions, we're here to help.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #14
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Barnes View Post
Be honest with me on this one. I am going to be 50 this year and want a change. I thought lifting would be a good chance for me to do something good for myself. Am I too old do you think to start now?
No flipping way! No such thing as too old in this racket. A good book for you to read would be Gray Hair and Black Iron by Brooks Kubik.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Barnes View Post
Be honest with me on this one. I am going to be 50 this year and want a change. I thought lifting would be a good chance for me to do something good for myself. Am I too old do you think to start now?
You are not too old.

But, do not put yourself in the position (in the future) where you were told by a doctor or health professional that the life in which you lead, and the things in which you did and didn't do as lead to an unhealthy disposition, and now, you must perform certain exercises/fitness activities to maintain your life.

This is the current situation for my wife's mother, and for her life, one in which I made a personal sacrifice.

Now, listen up:

When you get right down to the heart of the matter, there is only one thing (that is personal) that matters above all else, and this is: Health.

When you get right down to the heart of the matter, there is one thing in which makes us all equal: The aging process. We all will get old, and if you do not get older or old, then your dead before you get there.

When you get right down to the heart of the matter, we ALL will die sooner or later, and this too makes us all equal, no matter the amount of money or our petty differences.

We have one life and one body that carries us through the complexities and enjoyment of life.

If you change the way you view things. The things in which you view will change.

1. Such as the way you view: Personal health and the aging process.

2. Such as: Coming to terms with and understanding on what you can control and what you can not control.

3 Such as your: Current view and person position within Number 1.

4. Such as: Having the personal wisdom in knowing the difference in Number 2.

You don't have to be the master of all in life, but if you learn to Master Yourself in the things you are trying to master, I promise you will find more wisdom in the attempt.

With what was stated above, when you do research and study on diet and exercise, one learns fairly quickly--the positive health and reverse aging impact this can have to a person on very personal level.

We also learn that dieting/exercising is a choice (or something in which we have a degree of control), and this control reaches out and iimpacts our health and age.

Dieting is a choice in the sense of "what we decide to eat", though we all must eat to live. Exercise is a choice in the sense of performing things above all normal living movement patterns, but movement is required (or issues tend to develop such as with bed ridden persons, just think about this some, and study).

Diet is referring to eating. Exercise (no matter if you want to term in Power lifting, body building, etc, etc), is movement. In both of these we DO HAVE PERSONAL CONTROL.

Now, that we have established that you have personal control of diet and exercise, we learn that you do have a degree of control of your health and "the way in which you age" (keeping genetic variable equal: a variable in which we have no control over).

Now, add in the fact that the body is the ultimate master at adapting (good or bad) and improving its disposition--dependent on stimulus applied, and you have all the ingredients--to self improve at ANY AGE.

Through these obvious choices and things we have control over, you build a body that is accumulation of its past history, and therefore improve your future disposition.

As an example:

My body right at this very moment sitting here at the PC, is in better physical condition as compared to when I was in my prime (18 to 35), though I have lost several steps in quickness, etc (again wisdom in knowing the things we can not control, and I can not control this aspect).

Read my other post in your other thread.

When you begin, examine yourself. DO NOT "sugar coat" anything. Bare your soul, open it up. Accept the truth. There is no other way to implant ingredients to improve the self than beginning from a "truth base".

If you cannot afford a personal trainer.

You have to become "your own personal trainer."

A lot joining the forum, miss this valid point.

And, you reach in an grab the passion and desire to educate yourself in doing just that, then you surround yourself with the equipment you can afford to work with to get the goal you desire completed.

Then apply yourself, pressing education in what you are doing.

We are pressing more than body weight and/or weights here. We have to press the brain cells in our goal path.

When you fall and make mistakes, you get up infinite amount of times it takes, until you reach your goal destination using what you educated yourself with and adjust/adapt to bodily feedback.

Be an "appropriate" slave driver, and you will learn the body can withstand more than you original thought.

I say this to make a point. Know your personal limitations, embrace them. Accept them as they are. But, do NOT ALLOW it to hinder your TRUE abilities. We all have abilities, we just have to bring them out.

A personal test to see if you are finished:

Do you have a blood pulse? Was that a yes?

Then it isn't over.

So, when reading this rather brief post (), what do YOU think YOU need to do to earn your goal?

Just realize, you are not too old, and you have more control over your "person" than you think---and age does not matter, on the personal goal level.

Now go get what you want. No one will care enough about your goal, than yourself, and how much you put in it, is what you will get out of it.

Best wishes,

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 06-06-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
ffemtny
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25

ffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributor

Awesome thread, feeling the crunch to get healthier and stay healthy as I'm turning 40 this summer and worried about all the losing muscle , gaining fat, slowing metabolism, adult diapers you name it ideas society puts out there . Love to see and hear success stories of those conquering the clock. Inspiring to say the least.
ffemtny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am about to turn 45 and my strength is improving each year. Never too old. I've interviewed 60 year olds who've made dramatic transformations.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote