Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts
Default Hating on split routines?

I don't want to stir up any shit, but I've been doing sme reading and I see many of the old times used full body routines. I also noticed that guys that follow the old times tend to hate on split routines. Like I said, not hating, just trying to figure out why some of you think splits are bad or less effective?

Are splits really bad for naturals?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Many times the debate is over-simplified into steroid user vs. natural, etc., and pre-steroid era vs steroid era.

I don't believe it's that simple.

Just because old school lifters only used them for cutting doesn't mean that they were bad during the off-season. The "cutting" mentality could mean that they believed extra work lead to deeper cuts. Old school lifters might have been victims of this cutting belief. And to say that they used full body routines because they believed them to be superior might be off-base. Did they use them because they were superior, or because splits were seen as "cutting routines"?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Thought I do believe full body routines are great for beginners, I do believe splits carry value...especially for season lifters - including naturals.

At 42, I like the idea of full body routines...and occasionally use them. I'm using one right now.

But to be honest, they tend to tax my joint more then splits, so I can't run them forever. Keep in mind, I'm stressing this is only the case for me...surely not be the case for everyone. Casey Butt has a good approach. he cycles weight intensity on his 3 day full body routines. This is a more practical, long term solution if you stick with full body routines.

Here are some comments on the argument from people on various sides.

Kurt Wilkens
If you are a young guy -- or even a not-so-young guy -- whose sole desire is to get bigger and stronger, drug-free, I beg of you: Do not fall for the popular hype that you’ll find in nearly every one of the muscle and fitness magazines and Internet websites today! Reference the materials cited above (MILO, Brawn, Dinosaur Training, PTP, etc.). With any or all of these books and magazines to guide you, you can’t go far wrong with your training. Please, don’t waste your time trying to prove that you are an exception, that your genetics are ‘good’ -- chances are they’re not. Do yourself a BIG favor and stick with what works, what’s been working for over 100 years -- hard and heavy training on full-body routines using the big lifts. The results may amaze you!
Fred Hatfield
As for "full-body" workouts, I think they're OK for newbies or fitness buffs with limited time on their hands. But for athletes and aficianados, it's stone-age thinking! PERIODIZATION is a concept that seems to be so hard for people to grasp. It is so somple! Build a house! Start with the foundation! Progressively and with care, choose the next successive steps toward finishing the house!
Chad Waterbury
Total body workouts are superior for anyone with average genetics who's trying to add more than ten pounds of muscle across their entire body.

A total body workout will recruit more total motor units; it trains the body the way it's designed to work (as a whole unit and not segmental structures); and it allows someone to train with a higher frequency. And that's why many of the early bodybuilding greats advocated total body sessions. They advocated them for the same reason I do: because they work.
Joel Marion
Why in the hell is anyone even debating this issue?

For decades we've been simultaneously bangin' two strength training beauties: full body programs and split routines. But now, all within the last year, coaches everywhere are getting all "monogamous" – telling us we have to choose either one or the other.

Huh? What in the hell has gotten into this field? Honestly, how this has become a hot topic of discussion, I really don't know. It's about as elementary as the low-reps vs. high-reps for hypertrophy debate. Both approaches have benefit!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

I kinda agree here with the Marion guy. Do we really have to choose? If a split uses compound exercises and progression, is it really all that bad?
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpinos View Post
Are splits really bad for naturals?
The short answer from me is, no. However, they need to be employed at the right time. For me, that time is after you have already put on most of your mass. I see it like this:

For bodybuilding

wholebody for major mass building, beginner through intermediate.

upper/lower split when nearly all mass is achieved. upper level intermediate/advanced.

5 day split to fine tune, and maintain. advanced.

Sport specific training is a completely different animal. You train for your goals as needed.

I have more to say, but don't have time now.

Last edited by glwanabe; 10-19-2009 at 10:07 AM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

you better split or do total body to complete failure 2 times a week. But it is more difficult than that
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
The short answer from me is, no. However, they need to be employed at the right time. For me, that time is after you have already put on most of your mass. I see it like this:

For bodybuilding

wholebody for major mass building, beginner through intermediate.

upper/lower split when nearly all mass is achieved. upper level intermediate/advanced.

5 day split to fine tune, and maintain. advanced.

Sport specific training is a completely different animal. You train for your goals as needed.

I have more to say, but don't have time now.
That's a good overview.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote