Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Dangerous exercises (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10096)

henryh 05-27-2012 04:44 PM

Dangerous exercises

Are there any exercises or lifts that you consider to be dangerous? Ones that you should only perform if you are a seasoned lifter?

bruteforce 05-27-2012 04:56 PM

As long as you work at good form, most of the decent lifts are pretty safe. I'm not sure the strongman events are all that safe even for the seasoned veterans, but they're still pretty fun. BB bench on a swiss ball is probably a bad idea for anyone, but I've seen people do it.

5kgLifter 05-27-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 245517)
As long as you work at good form, most of the decent lifts are pretty safe. I'm not sure the strongman events are all that safe even for the seasoned veterans, but they're still pretty fun. BB bench on a swiss ball is probably a bad idea for anyone, but I've seen people do it.

I have to agree with that; I did DB bench on a stability ball and they're not that "stable" or safe with weights...needs must, sometimes though, but other than as an absolute necessity, I wouldn't recommend them. Thankfully, DBs can be ditched quicker than a BB.

bamazav 05-27-2012 05:18 PM

Was told, just this Friday, by a gym owner/ pro BB that Olympic lifts are dangerous.

glwanabe 05-27-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 245530)
Was told, just this Friday, by a gym owner/ pro BB that Olympic lifts are dangerous.

Anybody can own a gym, all it takes is money.

As far as his status as a pro BB, and his opinion on olympic liftng. The US is not very involved in olympic lifting as compared to many other Countries. The lifts are safe, but require that they be done correctly. Given hte proper lifting equipment, olympic lifting is safer than a lot of other lifts.

bamazav 05-27-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 245534)
Anybody can own a gym, all it takes is money.

As far as his status as a pro BB, and his opinion on olympic liftng. The US is not very involved in olympic lifting as compared to many other Countries. The lifts are safe, but require that they be done correctly. Given hte proper lifting equipment, olympic lifting is safer than a lot of other lifts.

I agree, I went in to see if they had anyone with some olympic experience that could help me with form. Two best gyms in the area and the best I could find was a crossfit coach.

BendtheBar 05-27-2012 06:05 PM

My opinion bench press is probably the most dangerous exercise. Too many bros using it, and using it with poor form.

JacktheThriller 05-27-2012 08:17 PM

You need to be taught form for mostly all exercises for them to be safe. Looking at photos and videos is not really sufficient. You need someone to coach yours lifts and que up lifting technique.

Off Road 05-27-2012 09:07 PM

There are no dangerous exercises, just dangerous people doing stupid stuff.

BigJosh 05-27-2012 10:57 PM

I tend to think upright rows are dangerous. I've hurt my shoulder doing them and don't want to do it again so I avoid them.
Other's may disagree.

To be fair my logic could be applied to basically say any lift is dangerous. I'm sure someone somewhere has hurt themselves doing almost everything.

Furthermore, I've hurt my back squating, yet I don't consider squats dangerous. So I guess I am rather inconsistent with my logic.