Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
would others agree that the standing overhead press has a greater risk of injury than the power clean ?
Not if proper form is used. A lot of guys hurt their backs with overhead lifts because they push away from the center of the body (lean back or push away).
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
I was just thnking today about which lifts on Starting Strength are the most risky.Although I had some trouble with form to begin with I have never done any harm or damage with the power cleans , I have on the other hand hurt my back with the overhead press a few times (nothing too bad)

would others agree that the standing overhead press has a greater risk of injury than the power clean ?
I'm just curious what your definition of "hurt" is?

To me, being hurt means you are unable to do a lift or lifts for multiple weeks.
Have you hurt yourself OHPing in this capacity?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #23
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Poor form on benchpress results in......
Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #24
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I'm just curious what your definition of "hurt" is?

To me, being hurt means you are unable to do a lift or lifts for multiple weeks.
Have you hurt yourself OHPing in this capacity?
Back just didnt feel right a few times after the overhead press, felt like an injury could be about to happen.My problem is obviously that I have been too greedy with adding the weight and sacrificed good form.

The point I was more trying to make was that the power clean in my opinion is not as risky as people often make it out to be .

I will have to work on my form with the standing overhead press
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #25
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Not if proper form is used. A lot of guys hurt their backs with overhead lifts because they push away from the center of the body (lean back or push away).
Yup and here is the crux of the issue. Was the exercise dangerous or did the trainee just get greedy and/or sloppy? In most cases it's the latter. In that situation you can't really blame the exercise.

I don't think any useful exercise, within reason, is inherently dangerous. However I will say this; certain exercises require conditioning to enable them to be performed safely. But that should not be a reason to ignore them.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote