Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I tend to think upright rows are dangerous. I've hurt my shoulder doing them and don't want to do it again so I avoid them.
Other's may disagree.

To be fair my logic could be applied to basically say any lift is dangerous. I'm sure someone somewhere has hurt themselves doing almost everything.

Furthermore, I've hurt my back squating, yet I don't consider squats dangerous. So I guess I am rather inconsistent with my logic.

I keep getting told that upright rows and behind the neck pressing is dangerous
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

If an exercise hurts, then work on form and mobility, or try different styles of the same movement. If it continues to hurt, then switch to something else.

Of course there are some really dumb exercises out there (think squatting on exercise balls), and it's just the person's own damn fault if they get hurt doing something stupid.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

honestly, any lift, done improperly has potential to be dangerous and injure, which is why so many here preach starting with compound lifts and focusing on form, esp for beginners. But there are some lifts i wouldnt suggest to a beginner unless i could be with them to teach them face to face.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
Some of these lifts come down to individual anatomical differences, though we're all inherently the same, in that we have two legs and the same bones, we don't necessarily have the same length of bones in any one limb to the person next to us, or even in the same ratio of lengths. With the shoulder, there are four different acromion variations which means that one person may find more issues than another person with OHP or other movements that involve the shoulder.

I think they discovered a 4a and a 4b type as well which really makes it 5 variations; they also alter as we age, so a type 2 can become a type 3 and progressively change whereas someone else may start with a type 4a to begin with and have less shoulder movement before impingement can occur...etc.

People need to be aware of these differences but seldom are.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Behind the neck presses can be dangerous if taken too deep. This is relative of course. On any press, the more the elbows are pushed back, the more the stress is place upon the shoulder. For BTNs the elbows can be forced not only deeper vertically, but also further back horizontally as a lifter gains bulk.

This happened to me. The bigger I got the more I had to force my elbows back. This started creating issues.

In general I am of the opinion that on BTNs as long as you don't take the arm past parallel to the ground you're pretty darn safe. Again, mileage varies. I was more flexible in my youth and could take it deeper.

Like any other exercise, common sense should be utilized.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My opinion bench press is probably the most dangerous exercise. Too many bros using it, and using it with poor form.
This is number one.

Quote:
BTN pressing isnt necessarily dangerous if done correctly. I will not do them though because they kill my elbows ans shoulders. BTN Jerks are semi useful in my training and I do them ocassionally.

Upright rows are an exercise that I have never found a benefit in doing. They make my shoulders hurt with virtually no benefits that I can ever see or feel.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Behind the neck presses can be dangerous if taken too deep. This is relative of course. On any press, the more the elbows are pushed back, the more the stress is place upon the shoulder. For BTNs the elbows can be forced not only deeper vertically, but also further back horizontally as a lifter gains bulk.

This happened to me. The bigger I got the more I had to force my elbows back. This started creating issues.

In general I am of the opinion that on BTNs as long as you don't take the arm past parallel to the ground you're pretty darn safe. Again, mileage varies. I was more flexible in my youth and could take it deeper.

Like any other exercise, common sense should be utilized.
i dont do anything behind the neck. My shoulders dont even like when i hold the bar to squat anymore. they get mad.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
i dont do anything behind the neck. My shoulders dont even like when i hold the bar to squat anymore. they get mad.
Wide grip time for you.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

I was just thnking today about which lifts on Starting Strength are the most risky.Although I had some trouble with form to begin with I have never done any harm or damage with the power cleans , I have on the other hand hurt my back with the overhead press a few times (nothing too bad)

would others agree that the standing overhead press has a greater risk of injury than the power clean ?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
I was just thnking today about which lifts on Starting Strength are the most risky.Although I had some trouble with form to begin with I have never done any harm or damage with the power cleans , I have on the other hand hurt my back with the overhead press a few times (nothing too bad)

would others agree that the standing overhead press has a greater risk of injury than the power clean ?
No, I'd disagree. Are you placing too much weight on the bar, or even using a 20kg bar and not being ready for it? If a person starts light enough, they naturally progress and there are seldom issues; when people start too heavy, they bend back, and bam they have themselves back problems.