Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
dubesj
Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: 2; barbell curls
Fav Supp: amplified mass xxx
dubesj is off to a bad start
Question to many temptations!!!

i've just recently started to train hard and try my hand at bodybuilding and such but to my dismay i always get the big chest and no fat loss i know my food intake is the cause but i have been told by so many locals from gyms what i should and shouldn't eat so i guess to get to my point what meal and diet plan should i implicate in my workouts and of what should i do for workouts each day because my exercise routines are a bit lacking to say the least i dont like squats really because of my bad knees but i will do them if they are crucial i have been told by many as well that squats are a quick way to a wheelchair as far as supplements go i usually get xxx amplified mass from GNC if there are better ones let me know also i know that re-built mass was horrible to me it chewed me up and spit me out i don't know if it was because i wasnt working out 5 days a week or because my body wasn't used to the concentrated whey protein so to end this novel basically ummm.... HELP!!!
dubesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Squats...a quick way to the wheelchair...Bawahahaha...

Sorry, but that is just soo wrong. Are squats required? No (I whisper). But working big muscle groups with big exercises is required and squats are the easiest and best way to do that. So, ya, I'm a BIG believer in squats. We hear the sore knee "thing" a lot, so it's hard to tell when somebody has a legitimate reason not to squat. Mostly guys just need to stop making excuses and get to it. But if you are really somebody that has real knee issues that will keep you from squatting then there are alternatives.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Oh ya, as far as diet and losing fat goes, just cut out the "crap" foods to start with. That alone will probably get you losing. You can get more complicated when that isn't working any more. Simple and small steps add up over time. Don't be in a hurry and you'll be more likely to stick with it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Whoever told you squats are a quick way to the wheelchair should be put on permanent ignore. That's nonsense.

If you want decent results, you're going to have to work hard, squats or not. Might as well embrace what's most effective.

I can tell you this...the successful people are the ones who set aside excuses and make it happen no matter what. If that's where you're at right now we'd love to help.

Tell us your current height, weight, age and detail your current program. Also give us an idea of your daily diet, including approx. calorie and protein intake.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

Started squatting, and painful lower back and knee's where magically healed!
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

I have really shitty knees, cartilage gone in my left knee(bone on bone) & 1/3 of my right patella tendon is gone. I would still skwatt if I could get my hands on the bar but I can't, so I still do Hack Squats with moderate weight. Squats are probably the best overall strength exercise there is. AND that's coming from a "bench only" guy. LOL
Old 05-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubesj View Post
i've just recently started to train hard and try my hand at bodybuilding and such but to my dismay i always get the big chest and no fat loss i know my food intake is the cause but i have been told by so many locals from gyms what i should and shouldn't eat so i guess to get to my point what meal and diet plan should i implicate in my workouts ..............
================================================== =======

Here at M@B we deal in truth and honesty: There is not one single person on this planet earth--with diet and fitness goals, that do not deal with temptations. You are not unique in any respect in this specific context.

The bottom line is this: You have to deal with it, and this is the way it is. Each time you fail, and go back attempting to earn your personal goal, you will revisit this truth each and every time.

To deal with your personal set of temptations within your diet, you are going to have to put some personal work in. It is simply a requirement.

A person's success foundation is built within, and what's built within creates the work ethic on the outside to motivate your brain, your two legs and feet, your two arms and hands, your mouth, your emotions, and all personal senses.

IMO, it begins with educating yourself---in the path in which you want to take. This education base, will be the weed eater, and kill any weeds (for example: the ones in the gym or other persons given you bad advice), and allow you to know when good advice is given to you.

When taking time to educate your path, you have to consider what you want out of your personal fitness goals, the requirements, and any personal characteristics and tendencies in which may hinder these personal goals.

If fat loss is what you seek, then, you can start your education in the 'required' basic dietary mechanics, and when you learn this basic foundation, you spend proactive and on-going time on food, calorie, and macro manipulation methods that spin-off from the basic mechanics, and can be used to deal with your personal weaknesses (temptations, etc), tendencies, fat-loss complications, and other issues. This is critical to your personal success.

1. Proper Education to Support Fitness Goals

A. Learn the basics of diet to solicit fat loss or muscle gain: Study applications of various dieting techniques--from this base premise and learn how to manipulate the diet basics (calorie, macros, etc)

Go here to start:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/nut...formation.html

This is still work in progress, but it will provide you enough information to get you on the right and correct path.

You don’t have to get obsessed, but you do need to apply "enough of you".

"You need to just blend it in your life just enough" if you want it bad enough, to allow compliance progression toward your goal. We are not striving to be fitness athletes; however, the speed and agility of one's goal can be determined by application within one's lifestyle.

Take some time and seek knowledge of the almighty calorie and energy balance. Really and truly understand this. A lot of persons can discouraged through lack of knowledge in what there trying to do and--how to properly adapt this knowledge within their likes and dislikes and their personal environment (and when it changes).

This means making threads and asking questions. This means getting on GOOGLE and doing specific searches. This means reading books, etc. There is a wealth of information right at your finger tips.

B. Study application of various resistance training techniques, methods, and programs

C. Study methods to overcome weaknesses and improve strengths.
On the mental side
On the Physical side (how to prevent injury, work with injuries, and weak points, etc)

This means making threads and asking questions. This means getting on GOOGLE and doing specific searches. This means reading books, etc. There is a wealth of information right at your finger tips.

2. Proper Personalized Diet manipulations to deal with your cravings, temptations, and other hindrances in your personal goal.

A. Develop a Diet Journal (until you don’t need it anymore)
B. Carefully (and reasonably) watch your body's adaption process
C. Adapt to this Personal Feedback and Personal History--education based
D. Learn how to manipulate the calorie and macro nutrients
E. Understand "your glucose stores" and how it works
F. Understand the importance of when to increase blood sugar and when not to (especially having a dieting lifestyle to lose quality tissue). Some underestimate this.

G. Pre/Post workout meals

H. Food Cravings: Master them with FOOD, and proactive involvement, and with education within (A through G).

3. Proper Weight Training/Fitness Routine

A. Develop a Weight Training Journal
B. "Aggressively assaulting" progression at every affordable and reasonable opportunity given on-the-fly IN the gym, and preparing for it OUT of the gym.
C. Carefully (and reasonably) watch your body's adaption process
D. Adapt to this Personal Feedback and Personal History--education based

E. Proper form and execution of exercises.

4. Proper Rest/Recuperation

A. Diet gives the biological base for growth and/or decrease in body fat. Weight training is the stimulation to give the opportunity for the biological base to function in a biologically expensive process, and this rebuilding and growth occurs at rest OUT of the gym.

5. Learn and Adapt from Mistakes Made from applying educated principles within your diet and weight training. Use your mind to create a remarkable and unparalleled ability to realize and use mental resourcefulness to master all personal difficulties to create personal opportunities to improve. Implement. Make a mistake? Adapt and overcome.

6. Master yourself. Master your life. Prioritize your fitness goals and create lifestyle habits.....that points to your fitness goals. Mastering yourself is not saying you are perfect, but rather the opposite: its knowing you are imperfect. You learn from mistakes, and implement a course of action, and attempt to correct and master the problem or weakness.

7. Motivation. Learn what motivates you to perform items 1 through 6.

If you study yourself, and take time to study the components of diet and weight training, a light bulb will go on in your head, and you will realize, that there are many ways you can implement possible courses of action---to DEAL WITH YOURSELF.

You have to just take the time.

Peace and happiness to you

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I was sent this via E-Mail, and I think it fits your topic. Read between the lines:

Sweet Little Things Called “Friends” By Linda Rae of Maricopa, Arizona

That powerful cookie is calling my name

as I shop for my food in the Store.

It’s really quite easy to forget why I came

when I see all that ice-cream and more.

Keeping on track with my food plan on my own

is a difficult enough task to follow.

I don’t need advice or ideas for my diet.

Just try to be nice and don’t ask me to “try it”.

It’s so hard to escape those things called “temptations”.

They don’t want to leave me alone.

They come in all sizes and forms and disguises

despite my desires I’ve made known.

My friends are not helping or doing me favors

when they say, “just one taste won’t be wrong”.

They don’t understand about an addict’s behavior

and my needs to be healthy and strong.

They think it’s a diet or fad that will end

and I’ll eat like I did in my past.

I’m constantly telling them over again,

“This time I want it to last”.

I’ve decided my health and well being

is worth any “offending” I’ve done.

If “my” needs are not worth their pleasing—

then I am the offended one.

If dining at the restaurant of their choosing

is the only option for me

Then friendships I’ll have to risk losing,

so, I can remain sugar free!

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
angie828
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26

angie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Oh ya, as far as diet and losing fat goes, just cut out the "crap" foods to start with. That alone will probably get you losing. You can get more complicated when that isn't working any more. Simple and small steps add up over time. Don't be in a hurry and you'll be more likely to stick with it.
Small steps will get you further. I found this out in the past. I tried so many times to do it quickly and failed. Baby steps are the way to go to make you successful!
angie828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

You'll grow faster if you use punctuation.

In all seriousness though, forget the pills, potions, and powders. Throw out all the junk food in your house. Don't buy anymore. Learn to cook and eat 90%+ of your meals at home. This let me drop 140 pounds of fat in just over a year.

Do squats. If you do them poorly, yes, they can be hard on the knees. If you do them right, they will help your knees out a lot.

Do deadlifts. Unless you have a herniated disk or a crushed vertebrae, there's no excuse no to. They will make you a man.

Press. Bench and overhead.

Row. Back work is needed to balance out your pressing. Even if you just want a big bench, you need back work. Ryano does back work, and I saw him bench over 700 pounds this weekend. Scary strong.

I won't tell you what to eat, most people don't like what works for me. However, most of us know what sort of food not to eat. Wonder bread, highly processed meat, sugar, and trans fat are bad news. Keep out of that sort of stuff. Instead go for real meat, real cheese, lots of vegetables. You'll be amazed how much healthier you feel in 2 weeks.