Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Fat loss and muscle gain at the same time ? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10059)

abett07 05-24-2012 01:13 AM

Fat loss and muscle gain at the same time ?

Sorry for asking a question that has no doubt been asked many times before but I am confused .

I had the understanding that to gain muscle you need to have a calorie surplus and to lose fat you need to have a calorie deficit .This is what makes doing both at the same time impossible without the use of steroids

However it seems that both can be done at the same time

My question is who can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? For example do you need to have a large amount of body fat or be a beginner?

What it is the required diet to achieve both these goals at the same time?

thanks for any feedback

5kgLifter 05-24-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abett07 (Post 244470)
Sorry for asking a question that has no doubt been asked many times before but I am confused .

I had the understanding that to gain muscle you need to have a calorie surplus and to lose fat you need to have a calorie deficit .This is what makes doing both at the same time impossible without the use of steroids

You don't need steroids to do both at the same time and no it's not impossible; I've done it and intend doing it again.

However it seems that both can be done at the same time

My question is who can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? For example do you need to have a large amount of body fat or be a beginner?

No, to neither; I had low levels of bodyfat and had been working out for a while, I still lost bodyfat and gained lean mass.

What it is the required diet to achieve both these goals at the same time?

It's difficult to say; I just eat and listen to my body, if it seems that it wants more food above what it's already had, then I go eat more.

thanks for any feedback

I will say, that I was eating a LOT more when doing both together but not so much that I gained bodyfat, obviously. It may just be a case of trial and error for you.

TitanCT 05-24-2012 06:41 AM

unless youre new and your body is making huge adjustments to weight training you will notice that the amount of lean body mass you add will diminish, but it is always possible..with or without steroids.
Natural or not, nutrition is the key, especially for body recompositioning.

Off Road 05-24-2012 07:14 AM

I believe that it is possible, but I also believe it is a slower road to your goals.

BendtheBar 05-24-2012 07:33 AM

I've done several transformation stories on 18 to 20 year old guys where both were achieved, but in both cases the fat loss was only about 10 pounds. They both experienced about a 15 pound muscle gain.

In the cases I am referencing they ran an extremely clean diet and probably lost some of the fat out of the gate just because they dumped soda, chips, etc. Both improved their strength in a rapid amount of time and did eat plenty of clean food.

I can't say I've ever seen a 30+ male do this, and I edit quite a few quality transformation stories. Most of the men lost fat and then did some building.

I think if you want to lose weight you have to focus on the things you can control:

A) Getting stronger/progression on an appropriate workout.
B) Not undereating; being patient.

Will you gain muscle while losing fat? Who knows. Focus on what you can control and find out.

Personally, I'm not a fan of chasing both over the long haul. It's like chasing unicorns. If you have fat to lose, then go lose it. Then get back to muscle building.

Off Road 05-24-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 244539)
If you have fat to lose, then go lose it. Then get back to muscle building.

:rockon:

DanB 06-17-2012 09:26 AM

It is possible but a sure fire way to get nowhere imo. For quicker overall progression = One goal at a time!