Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
henryh
Brawn
Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

henryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality posts
Default Your first competition

I am no where near ready for a competition but I would love to hear how your first one went. Were you nervous? How did you do? What would you have done differently to get ready for it? I am thinking I should train hard and compete, and will try to make that a goal of mine.
henryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

If you are to wait until you think you are ready then you will probably never enter a competition.

I say jump in at the first opportunity,learn as much as you can and set yourself a benchmark for the next meet.

Too many people worry about "not lifting heavy enough" at their first meet. You think that the top guys turn up and smash it first time around? Of course they dont.

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryh View Post
I am no where near ready for a competition but I would love to hear how your first one went. Were you nervous? How did you do? What would you have done differently to get ready for it? I am thinking I should train hard and compete, and will try to make that a goal of mine.
What sort of comp are you talking about; PL or BB?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
What sort of comp are you talking about; PL or BB?
good question!

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
backus
New Brawn
Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

backus is off to a bad start

I have never done a competition and have never really given it much thought about doing one. I guess that for me lifting is a way for me to feel good about myself and I do not feel that a competition is something that I need to do. Nothing against competitions, and if you like to do them, then great. It is just something that never really interested me.
backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
kenbanks
Brawn
Points: 2,151, Level: 28 Points: 2,151, Level: 28 Points: 2,151, Level: 28

Training Exp: Too damn long
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: I don't take supplements.
kenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryh View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're referring to BB, given what forum you posted in. I've been in nine bodybuilding competitions since 2009, and am taking part in 4-6 more this fall. I'm far from the world's biggest or best bodybuilder, but choosing to compete is the best decision I've ever made. I took second place in the Novice "short" class in my first show, and was immediately hooked. I was very nervous for weeks, but your time on stage is so short and rushed that you don't really have a chance to get nervous on stage.

With 20/20 hindsight, I would have given myself a few more weeks of dieting (I did 12, and probably should have done 16) to be ready. I was nowhere near as lean in my first competition as I am when I compete these days, but I'm very glad I didn't back out of that first show. Like someone else said, if you wait "until you're ready", you'll never wind up taking the stage! Just set a date, pick a show, give the dieting your best for a few months, and show up and compete on said day. You'll learn so much and it will be totally worth it.
kenbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbanks View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're referring to BB, given what forum you posted in.
I just search new posts and completely missed that
Old 05-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
kenbanks
Brawn
Points: 2,151, Level: 28 Points: 2,151, Level: 28 Points: 2,151, Level: 28

Training Exp: Too damn long
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: I don't take supplements.
kenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributorkenbanks is a consistent contributor

kenbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbanks View Post

With 20/20 hindsight, I would have given myself a few more weeks of dieting (I did 12, and probably should have done 16) to be ready. I was nowhere near as lean in my first competition as I am when I compete these days, but I'm very glad I didn't back out of that first show. Like someone else said, if you wait "until you're ready", you'll never wind up taking the stage! Just set a date, pick a show, give the dieting your best for a few months, and show up and compete on said day. You'll learn so much and it will be totally worth it.
I agree here. To many don't calculate out how many weeks they need and just do the cookie cutter 12 weeks. Your lean out should be based on there fat % and pounds you need to loose not a set numbers of weeks.
When you think your weeks will get you lean enough add 2 -3 more weeks.
15 shows (11 able body, 4 wheelchair) and only 1, I wasn't in top 3 of my class.

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 05-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote