Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   kettlebell exercises (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10006)

smalldon 05-17-2012 04:10 PM

kettlebell exercises

I would like to start working out with a kettlebell. What would be some good exercises for me to start with since I am both a newbie to body building and to kettlebells?

Off Road 05-17-2012 04:44 PM

Paging 5kg...

bruteforce 05-17-2012 04:55 PM

KB Snatches, Swings, and Get-Ups seem useful. I was thinking you wanted to put on a lot of mass, so your bread and butter should be barbell compound movements, but there's no harm and possibly some benefit to some KB complexes. And yeah, I'll let 5kg take over from there.

IronWill 05-17-2012 05:26 PM

Kettlebells will wear your ass out! :volk:

5kgLifter 05-17-2012 05:31 PM

Haha, thanks guys :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalldon (Post 242480)
I would like to start working out with a kettlebell. What would be some good exercises for me to start with since I am both a newbie to body building and to kettlebells?

I'd avoid the snatches, since you're new to them. Snatches need a lot of technique and there is a lot of room for error and injury, if you have the inclination to study and learn them though, then feel free but be careful; you can learn them alone but I'd suggest looking closely at the videos in the kettlebell section.

Swings are the best start, both double-handed and single; then there's front squats which work really well; OHP; jerks which require a bit more timing etc.

It's pretty easy for a beginner to string two or threee exercises together and just do them as a complex, over and over for several minutes.

Example
10 swings (two KBs, one in each hand)
Clean the KBs
1 front squat
stand
1 OHP
10 swings (as above)
Clean the KBs
1 Front squat
stand
1 Jerk
repeat from the start

You could alter it and do 2 front squats, or less swings etc...and just keep repeating until shattered.

TitanCT 05-18-2012 07:55 PM

5kg and IronMaiden are the kettlebell masters here.

LtL 05-19-2012 08:02 AM

Great post Babs.

LtL

smalldon 05-19-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 242502)
KB Snatches, Swings, and Get-Ups seem useful. I was thinking you wanted to put on a lot of mass, so your bread and butter should be barbell compound movements, but there's no harm and possibly some benefit to some KB complexes. And yeah, I'll let 5kg take over from there.

Oh I guess I did not realize that you should stick with barbells when you want to gain mass. Are kettlebells not good for gaining mass?

smalldon 05-19-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 242513)
Haha, thanks guys :)

I'd avoid the snatches, since you're new to them. Snatches need a lot of technique and there is a lot of room for error and injury, if you have the inclination to study and learn them though, then feel free but be careful; you can learn them alone but I'd suggest looking closely at the videos in the kettlebell section.

Swings are the best start, both double-handed and single; then there's front squats which work really well; OHP; jerks which require a bit more timing etc.

It's pretty easy for a beginner to string two or threee exercises together and just do them as a complex, over and over for several minutes.

Example
10 swings (two KBs, one in each hand)
Clean the KBs
1 front squat
stand
1 OHP
10 swings (as above)
Clean the KBs
1 Front squat
stand
1 Jerk
repeat from the start

You could alter it and do 2 front squats, or less swings etc...and just keep repeating until shattered.

Thanks for your input here. Looks or sounds like you really know your kettlebell. Thanks again.

Off Road 05-19-2012 03:09 PM

They are more of a conditioning tool...unless you have plate loading kettlebells.