Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #1
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member
Default How Do You Do It?

Hey gang,

I've not been on here since February 1 2014 according to the top right hand corner of my screen.

I have been training on and off but frankly, there is no rhyme or reason in it. Training is sporadic and injuries have taken their toll. When I do lift I do so at home with some equipment including a cheap squat rack and around 200 pounds of weights. I recently found I would be lucky to squat 165 such has been my loss in strength.

Anyways, I'm just wondering what others on here do when they're in a major training rut.

I understand everyone is different and I suppose this is more me spinning my wheels than seeking advice but have at it!

I also miss BTB's nuggets of wisdom

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
Shmeegs
Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on for 15 yrs
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Compounds
Fav Supp: Moo cow f@$ milk
Shmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributor

For me personally its all about routine and motivation. Pretty much every night after my daughter goes to bed, I go to my garage and workout. My wife does all of her online work during this time so it works out for both of us.
Motivation is another issue entirely. Just because i have the time to work out doesnt mean that i really want to. Motivation for me is two fold. It is both appearance based as well as progressive based. Every day that i feel better is motivation. Every time someone else says that i look better is motivation. When i really need a pickup, i go through my training log and see the progress in my lifts. A combination of that and doing primarily lifts that you enjoy doing helps. I enjoy the feeling of my muscles being sore so every day that i am not sore, i feel that i let myself go in the opposite direction. Keep at it and best of luck to you.
Shmeegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #3
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Hey Kuytrider ... so good to see you back buddy ... It's been long long time ...
Old 08-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Find a program. Steve gave me this advice last time I was in a rut. Find a program that seems like it will work for whatever your goals are, and stick to it no matter what, for a while at least. If nothing else it will give you a new direction, and by following a written program you won't have to worry about deciding what to do on any given day.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It has to be fun. If you don't enjoy that time with the iron you'll never stick to it.

Detach yourself from the concept of results for a while and just go rip $hit up for a while.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I agree. Its a hobby that easily turns in to a lifestyle but if its not fun, whats the point!? Try out new approaches to training. Weightlifting? Strongman? Bodybuilding?

Welcome back man!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
JTM811
Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributor

Some great advice has already been posted. I would add this, maybe find a training partner who will be there to help motivate you. About four years ago I had a partner and we helped to keep each other working out. He was a co-worker who eventually went to another shift and we didn't lift together any longer and I kinda lost my way for about a year and stopped working out.

I eventually got back into it on my own, but a shoulder injury prevented me from doing all the stuff I wanted too yet I still lifted squats and deads. This past spring I finally got my wife into the iron and my shoulder started to feel better. I lift with her at home a day or two for upper body and at the gym for heavy stuff like squats and deads. Helping her with her workouts and seeing her drive to get stronger and more fit has really helped me out, and she is always bitchin if she misses a day now. Sometimes having that other person can really be a life saver.
JTM811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Thanks for the advice guys. I should mention that since the last time I was on I have moved home. Now I am miles from the city and the only thing resembling a gym is a health and fitness club which predictably has no squat rack (only a Smith machine). It did allow people to deadlift.

I ended up leaving because I was fed up with the small weights area which meant you couldn't use a barbell if someone else was training such was the size!

Nonetheless, I may end up back there since oddly enough my training was better there than it is at home. I have no garage; so training is done in the living room.

I did a 5x5 squat session with lunges to finish the other day and was sore for 4 days! Man I need to train more often! Barbell Hack Squats and higher rep RDLs tomorrow methinks!

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Sounds like you're being creative. That's good stuff.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #10
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Cookies&Cream Whey
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Have a goal and/or a reason to train.

Goals should be SMART

Do you want to compete?

Be able to pull loved ones from a burning building?

Survive the zombie apocalypse?

Look awesome?

Feel great?

Improve health?

With limited weights, higher reps and/or harder moves should get results. You might also build injury resistance if chasing heavy weights was what got you injured.

From Brooks Kubik today:

"But what would John Grimek have said?
We actually KNOW what he would have said because he once wrote an article about it. Grimek was hands down a fan of the clean and press.

In Grimek's opinion, if you could only do one exercise, you should do the clean and press. He believed the clean and press would give you a great total body workout.

Grimek followed his usual pattern of suggesting that you start light, add weight from set to set, and drop the reps as you added weight."