Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Dead-Lift
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast
Default F#ck Your Genetics

Thought this was good..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Yesh
Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3 Years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master member

Excellent.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Anything overhead
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!

What if the ability to train hard and eat loads is genetically determined?

It would be nice to hear just one successful athlete say 'actually, there are loads of guys who work harder and smarter than me, but I just make more progress than they do. I've no idea why, I guess it's my genetics.'

[Or maybe George goes on to say that - I switched off after 2 minutes as I find his swearing very monotonous.]

The message that success is mostly down to human willpower always plays well.

Ignoring irrelevant credentials since I was 17.
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Anything overhead
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!Tannhauser is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
What if the ability to train hard and eat loads is genetically determined? .
If I may quote myself.

Just looked at George's youtube comments and saw a guy who calls himself 'The Nietszchian' (sic) made the same point.

What's interesting is the immediate savaging he gets. He's attacked one of the sacred cows of western thought: the mystical notion that the choices we make are entirely self-invented, and just parachute into our heads from nowhere.

Ignoring irrelevant credentials since I was 17.
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Chillen
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

A lot to pull and learn from the video.

A lot of personal success comes from one's personal ability to provide the personal ingredients for their own genetic recipe that permits them to do the things required to obtain their goal. This will never change.

A man who floats like a butterfly and stings with Rock-Ons IS bound to get there.

So Blast off today!

Muh! Ha, ha, ha

oh..

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 10-13-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I do believe genetics and even environment from very early childhood can have major impacts on this. Gut bacteria and other flora/fauna can play massive roles in obesity, and may be established in the first years of childhood.

I have problems staving off cravings for certain foods. Most people can't understand this. When I crave carbs and spice, it can be so overwhelming I could cry.

George would probably put me down.

To him I say, lets take a look at what else I've accomplished.
1. I worked my way through school, both undergrad and now graduate. Does George have a graduate degree? Can his mind comprehend what mine does? Can he ever hope to match my wits on things that are effortless for me even with all his determination? Not likely. I'm a freak. I finished Calc III in high school and slept my way to an A in O-chem.

2. Many people don't have and can't be trained to have the entrepreneurial mindset. I was born with it. Are we to look down on those who can't start their own business and run it successfully? No, we pay them to work for us because for us, the day in and day out work is boring as hell.

3. Is the ability to inject yourself with illegal drugs a good thing? What if the mindset needed to stick that needle in yourself is genetic, or at least chemical?

4. Fuck the genetics of everyone shorter than me. I grew to be 6'4" because I was so damned determined. Every night I yelled at my self "Grow bitch!" <this is only 12% true>

Its a lot of self praise and drum beating. Then again, I can't fault him, money is made by being an ass and not thinking things through for video.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Most people train harder than I do. I just try to train smarter so I don't get injured. That's been my secret strategy.

That may be genetically predetermined

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I must say, I don't have my success story yet. I dont fully know what to do for a career, nor do I know if its genetics that are making me progress so slow. But I dont worry about those things. If it takes something illegal to deadlift 800, so be it. One thing George has that I dont is the carefreeness in his speech. I'm not going to curse someone for making an honest excuse.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
zach90
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 6 years
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor

i think the point of the video or the point he was trying to convey is that people (specifically the weightlifting community in this case) give up to early because they think they have bad genetics. hes just trying to get the point across that you dont know your own limits if you dont even try push them.
zach90 is offline   Reply With Quote