Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Go live young man

The Internet never ceases to amaze me. I do a 3 hour hike followed by a gym session featuring 15 rep sets of squats, and round out the day with 35 rep sets of leg presses. I receive criticism because "I leg press."

Many in this industry have swung so far from center that they consider anything that isn't a barbell exercise to be a waste. While I am right at the front of the line when it comes to recommending barbell exercises, I do need to say this:

Some of you need to get a life. If fitness isn't fun, meaning you can't just hike or leg press because you want to, then you are missing out. I don't care what anyone is telling you on the net. If you aren't enjoying what you're doing, you won't last. If you spend your life obsessing over optimization to the point where you can't do anything because you fear losing gains, you are missing out. If you can't just do a few fun exercises after the hard work is done because "so and so" on the Internet would laugh at you, you are missing out.

Relax. Have fun. Think for yourself. Life is about more than gains. I am bigger and stronger than most lifting gurus will ever be. My secret is this...I love challenging myself. Some days I do it on the leg press, and some days I do it with squats. Some days I wake up and say;

I am going on a 7 mile hike today because I CAN.

Breathing is a privilege. Thinking for yourself is a privilege. Fitness should be enjoyable. Understand optimization, but never stop doing what you want, when you want. You learn more and live more this way.

When you are 70, if you are lucky enough to see this age, you won't think about the macros you counted on March 17th, 2014. You WILL remember that day when you got up and and conquered life by doing something ridiculous like hiking for 3 hours and then following it will high rep squats and leg presses for 2 hours.

I don't care what anyone in this industry tells you to do. Relax, and go do something you WANT to do today.

Understand the rules, then forge your own path.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-10-2014 at 09:49 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

This is exactly why I did a 6 hour cardio marathon, at my old commercial gym, about 4 years ago. I did 6 hours of cardio in a row, on 3 different machines, and burned over 5000 calories doing so.

I'll cherish it forever and never forget it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Steve.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

But... what you did clearly wasn't optimal. You don't seem to understand. Eesh.

You're missing out on all the gains those buck-fifty faux-OCD critics are enjoying every day!

Have you learned nothing from these anonymous experts?!