Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
BravenFenix
The Big Boss
Max Brawn
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have been training with weights now for 28 years. I have been involved with fitness for over 30 years. my motivation has remained high for one reason I love exercise and I love lifting weights. Some guys love the results. Wow the results are good I love lifting weights regardless of the results. I love progression. I love being able to go into the gym in control progression. Control my effort. I love to see improvements in the numbers and that keeps me motivated. This improvement, or love for improvement, has kept me going for a very long time.
On the money. This concept can be extended to anything really, any sport, card game, video. I people do it because they have fun or they want to improve and be better. If someones doing something for both reasons, then that's true motivation and passion.

Lifts: https://www.youtube.com/user/BravenFitness

Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...304#post443304
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #12
Likethebaldwin
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
Likethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributor

Great responses. Very helpful to hear what motivates people. I especially enjoyed that video from Afraziaaaaa and the link from Dray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravenFenix View Post
On the money. This concept can be extended to anything really, any sport, card game, video. I people do it because they have fun or they want to improve and be better. If someones doing something for both reasons, then that's true motivation and passion.
This is great insight.

I was thinking about what motivates me today while at the gym and it occurred to me that action breeds motivation. Sometimes I find myself waiting for motivation to come, but it only comes if I get off my ass and do something. The more I do, the more motivation I get. Especially with lifting. The feeling of lifting more then I was able to a few weeks ago, and the physical sensation I get throughout the day after a good workout, those things keep me going.
Likethebaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:16 AM   #13
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likethebaldwin View Post
Great responses. Very helpful to hear what motivates people. I especially enjoyed that video from Afraziaaaaa and the link from Dray.
Glad you also found that useful, mate. But I was just linking it - Mr. BendtheBar (Steve Shaw / the Bearded Beast of Duloc) is the one who wrote that article.

Quote:
I was thinking about what motivates me today while at the gym and it occurred to me that action breeds motivation. Sometimes I find myself waiting for motivation to come, but it only comes if I get off my ass and do something. The more I do, the more motivation I get.
So true. I think you put it better than I managed to, really.

Motivation is one of those things in Real Life(tm) that actually works counterintuitively. The more you choose to DO, the more you feel motivated. Typically, anyway. Of course, even then, if we go about enslaved by our feelings, we'll likely fail to do much of anything in life, long term.

But, um, I'll shut up now, because it's something I could ramble on about forever, haha.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #14
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I have been training consistently without question, since 2005. I rely on no one for motivation, but myself and "The One" I connect with as partners: Diet and the Iron.

I view "The One", as lifetime commitments. Why? Because the base principle is simple. If you stop performing the things in which got you to earn your physique/strength levels, etc, then the body will adapt and become less than it was, because the stimulus in which brought it to that point, no longer is being applied. Therefore, a person has to apply the near same application, or the person will simply lose it. This is the bare fact and truth, and one in which a person must accept.

The contents of my skull guides the things I view. And, if I choose to view things differently, then the things in which I view will change. In this, I view my wife through a specific type of lens, and see a strength inside her that is stronger than the disease ravished body in which she possesses. Through this, she has made her disease ravished body do things it which otherwise was not capable. And, likewise, makes the body adapt to this stimulus and get progressively better under the physical limitations that she has no control over. In contrast, if she did not apply this tough mental attitude stimulus, the body would regress and adapt and get weaker as a result. If people in general, had a tenth of the mental character she possesses, they would be able to conquer the goals they set out so strongly (at first), but only die out in the long run.

The body relies on the brain to guide it. As without proper guidance, the body does not always know what is best for it. The body will simply follow what ever you decide to do, and adapt to the same. And, how successful you are depends on how well your brain is capable of adapting and learning the characteristics of your own body, and accept the bottom line truth.

There is simply no choice, if one wants to improve or maintain what they have earned, you have to keep performing the type of things in which brought you there in the first place.

During this lifetime commitment, its how you respond mentally to the forthcoming disappointments. If you get so frustrated with trying so long, and not getting the results you want, and stop.

Then your body will likewise stop.

But, if you stay strong, and fight, the body will keep trying....

Because you are.

And, most fighters, do win...within the journey, if there head is screwed on right.

Memory fails. So, I do probably more than most people, but I have the numeric data to base sound decisions from as I continue with my journey. I have ALL training and ALL diet (calories/macros) since 2005 within OneNote.

Screen Picture of OneNote Attached with all Notebooks from 2005.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 03-30-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #15
Chillen
Max Brawn

Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

And, I may add to the previous post, the undying and always enduring love for my wife, and being passionate and having a love of lifting, and a personal commitment to care for her, and a sincere concern to make it a lifetime commitment to take care of my physical body that walks me through life.

So many things in life, so many issues and responsibilities, uh, yes...no doubt....and yet....we do not take care of the vessel (as a complete unit working together), that actually deals with these complexities of life?

By logging the way I do, tells me a story. I note the way I do because I love it. I love the fact I can make sound decisions based on these notebooks of personal data. It tells me many different things, but one thing is for sure, the data that is going into it is of quality, and hence, I get quality feed back when I need it. It will tell me what worked (at anytime the past nearly 10 years), what did not, and what I ended up doing to fix complications. It will tell me the numeric data (in workouts and diet), and the associated results (or lack there of), and so on and so forth with invaluable data at my disposal. The efforts made in journaling even assist with the passion under the iron, and I will not stop, until my last breath, and when this happens, I know I gave it my best shot.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #16
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

It's easy if you love training.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
TKDwarrior
New Brawn
Points: 425, Level: 8 Points: 425, Level: 8 Points: 425, Level: 8
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

TKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good postsTKDwarrior has made some good posts

My motivation comes from the fact that I love to lift. It's my time for myself, my peace, stress relief, and the chance to excel.

I go with short-term goals that are realistic and achievable. Even if I add two pounds to a lift from the week before, it's an accomplishment and it's progress. This might sound silly to some, but it's the journey that keeps me motivated.

For me it's about progress, not perfection.
TKDwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #18
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

I try my best to not concern myself with how much the other guy is lifting, but I am human. I do sometimes see someone throwing up some big numbers and wish that I could toss around big weights. What helps me is competing with me. I have a sheet in my training log for EVERY training session I have completed all the way back to my very first one. If I only increase a lift by 5lbs, or not at all, I can still go back and find a time when I was lifting 100lbs less on any lift. I'm stronger than THAT guy. The one in my training log from 10 months ago. Yeah, a lot stronger. That always motivates me when I start losing focus or drive.

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #19
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
I try my best to not concern myself with how much the other guy is lifting, but I am human. I do sometimes see someone throwing up some big numbers and wish that I could toss around big weights. What helps me is competing with me. I have a sheet in my training log for EVERY training session I have completed all the way back to my very first one. If I only increase a lift by 5lbs, or not at all, I can still go back and find a time when I was lifting 100lbs less on any lift. I'm stronger than THAT guy. The one in my training log from 10 months ago. Yeah, a lot stronger. That always motivates me when I start losing focus or drive.

This is the beauty of having a life under the iron and dietary goals: We can choose from many different types of goals, and select one that is closest to strumming the beat of our heart. With me I know there will always be someone stronger than me, it simply does not matter to me. I am chasing what captures my heart, and personally, I like what "all-around" conditioning and strength brings to the table of life, and thus I will remain pursuing this, and encourage others to achieve their own personal desires and goals.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 04-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #20
Bdub
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,416, Level: 21 Points: 1,416, Level: 21 Points: 1,416, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1-2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
Bdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributor

Mostly because I just love to lift and push myself. When you want something bad enough you do what it takes to get it.

Best Meet Results
Squat: 385
Bench: 265
Deadlift: 475
Bdub is online now   Reply With Quote