Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mind and Motivation (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Intangibles and Lifting Success (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14623)

BendtheBar 08-09-2013 12:42 PM

Intangibles and Lifting Success

I was talking with Brute about intangibles. We rarely talk about the intangibles, yet they are arguably the driving mechanism that separates the successful from the stalling.

What intangibles do you think are necessary to succeed in muscle and/or strength building?

Do you think these intangibles can be taught or learned?

jopp 08-09-2013 12:45 PM

You have to be able to know even though you gave 100% there is more that you can give. Also you just have to be able to get in the gym every day you have a workout and never missing a workout.

storm1507 08-09-2013 01:16 PM

I think work ethic and the competive drive are important. Competive drive to better yourself, not always to win.

It can be taught, but needs to be done at an early age. I believe if the foundation has not been built by the time a young man (or woman) is in his/her mid teens....it's too late.

Off Road 08-09-2013 01:46 PM

Focus and effort. Are you telling me you couldn't get a couple of extra reps if somebody was holding a gun to your head? You're probably capable of more than you think.

Tannhauser 08-09-2013 02:30 PM

Patience.

5kgLifter 08-09-2013 02:37 PM

Understanding your own body and how it responds, some just don't understand their bodies and have no clue as to how to do so, it can't be taught (at least, not easily, if it can) but for those that do understand their bodies, they have the potential to go further than those that don't.

moeheep 08-09-2013 02:46 PM

Dicipline...

dicipline to not miss workouts
dicipline to eat right
dicipline to follow your program
dicipline to listen to your body
dicipline to get enough rest and recovery
dicipline to keep pushing when your mind says stop
dicipline to etc, etc, etc

J_Byrd 08-09-2013 02:59 PM

I think you spend time with anyone who has had serious success in the strength field you will see what separates them. It is something that can not be explained. The fire that burns inside to reach your goals becomes uncontrollable. I have changed my entire life to have a chance at reaching my goals.

I heard an interview with Donnie Thompson one time that when he was chasing 3k total, he sold everything and built a gym. He would have to beg people to train with him, because he couldnt find people dedicated enough to stay through workouts. He eventually got to his goal.

I am not sure if it is something that can be taught. It is something inside of you, that will to win. I have been around this long enough that I can look at a mans face and eyes and tell you if he will get the lift. The people who are crazy successful have "IT". It is something that you cant describe, but when you meet someone with "IT" you will know.

I played football for the greater part of my life. During that time I played with a handful of people who had the "IT". When it was on the line, they wanted the ball, they wanted it ran behind them, they wanted the pressure. Same in lifting!

Sorry got on a little ramble there haha.

Squatter 08-09-2013 04:17 PM

Faith in the process.

Can be taught, but very difficult!

Hywelbane 08-09-2013 05:34 PM

Along with all the other things said, I'd say tapping into your inner rage. Right before your lift, event, competition, etc., being able to flip the switch on while maintaining a level of control can take performance to another level.

Now I'm not talking about blind anger, but a positive, productive rage. Or as my dad has always said: "Sometimes you just have to be mean with it."