Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mind and Motivation (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   On Helping Others (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14017)

BendtheBar 06-11-2013 06:28 PM

On Helping Others

Just some thoughts I was sharing earlier with someone...

If you want to help folks you need to remember something. You don't get to pick and choose who is given to you each day. It's a gift to help people, even the ones you personally dislike. Anyone can help people they like. The question is: are you willing to help everyone sent your way, even the ones you dislike?

nighttrain 06-11-2013 07:21 PM

teachers cant choose their students.... just saying

SCStrong 06-11-2013 08:30 PM

I try to help anyone that I can - the Bible tells us not to turn away those in need. Of course I am human and a failure many times - but I keep trying to do all that I can. I enjoy helping others - it makes me feel better about me.

jdmalm123 06-11-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 373861)
Just some thoughts I was sharing earlier with someone...

If you want to help folks you need to remember something. You don't get to pick and choose who is given to you each day. It's a gift to help people, even the ones you personally dislike. Anyone can help people they like. The question is: are you willing to help everyone sent your way, even the ones you dislike?

You Have No Enemies,
You Have No Friends,
You Have Only Teachers

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighttrain (Post 373875)
teachers cant choose their students.... just saying

We are all both teacher and student and no one can choose who comes into their path...best to be mindful. Learn when you can. Teach when you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCStrong (Post 373933)
I try to help anyone that I can - the Bible tells us not to turn away those in need. Of course I am human and a failure many times - but I keep trying to do all that I can. I enjoy helping others - it makes me feel better about me.

Matthew 5:24 - Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

EliteDreams 06-11-2013 09:53 PM

Suprisingly, after helping those you dislike, you might really get to know them, and gain a friend.

Bronco 06-11-2013 10:41 PM

it's rare that i find someone that i dislike.
but even if i did i supposed i'd help them out.

leefarley 06-12-2013 03:48 AM

it would be hard for me to help someone I really dislike.

Squatter 06-12-2013 09:55 AM

I have tried to help someone in the past who I didn't get along with, but they wouldn't accept it. The hardest part for me is forgiving those I disliked or hated.

Off Road 06-12-2013 10:23 AM

Dislike?
That's a pretty strong word for these people that we don't even know beyond what they post here on the forum. Maybe "frustrated" or "annoyed" are better words. I get frustrated with people sometimes, just like they do with me sometimes. That doesn't mean we aren't one big happy family.

5kgLifter 06-12-2013 10:45 AM

Helping people that frustrate you or can't be bothered to take any advice you give is a double-edged sword, you can only take so much and then it becomes not only counterproductive but also detrimental to yourself.

Over the years, I've helped countless people, including those I don't care much for (or dislike) and a lot of the time I've even forgotten that I helped someone which always comes as a shock if they turn up with a gift, months later, which one did...I usually stand wracking my brain trying to think when it was that I helped them...but...

There is a time and place for everything and sometimes ties just have to be cut...I'd never turn someone away if they needed my help but if I knew they could get the help or better help/assistance elsewhere and it was a counterproductive situation then I'd point them in the right direction instead.