Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Free Thinking as a Mental Illness

Is Free Thinking A Mental Illness? - Off The Grid News

Quote:
Is nonconformity and freethinking a mental illness? According to the newest addition of the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), it certainly is. The manual identifies a new mental illness called “oppositional defiant disorder” or ODD. Defined as an “ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior,” symptoms include questioning authority, negativity, defiance, argumentativeness, and being easily annoyed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Oh man I got ODD, give me some sedatives!!! =)
Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

They can wrest my ODD from my cold dead hands.

Last edited by Dray; 05-14-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: speelingz
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Doesn't agree with government.

Diagnosed with ODD.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Freethinking and nonconformity aren't the same as either hostile or questioning authority, otherwise every politician would be ODD (not that they're not odd ).

Whoever wrote that just clumped the two together without even considering that they are nowhere near the same thing, just a form of control.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post

Whoever wrote that just clumped the two together without even considering that they are nowhere near the same thing, just a form of control.
I would agree Babs. That is the first thing that crossed my mind.

I've seen some folks who were unreasonably hostile (easily annoyed) to anything mainstream or status quo. This wasn't based on free thinking, but rather some pseudo-elitist, self-elevating, world hating, depressing and insecure outlook on life and humanity in general.

Something like that.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would agree Babs. That is the first thing that crossed my mind.

I've seen some folks who were unreasonably hostile (easily annoyed) to anything mainstream or status quo. This wasn't based on free thinking, but rather some pseudo-elitist, self-elevating, world hating, depressing and insecure outlook on life and humanity in general.

Something like that.
Strangely, I'd heard of ODD, a little while back on Judge Judy, it was a teen and my thoughts were, she's a kid that's being a kid, nothing more, but having read those signs of how ODD supposedly manifests itself, the whole world, without exception, is now mentally ill and I reckon, it will easily be used against people as and when the authorities choose to do so because it is such a catch-all...no two ways about it, everybody falls into one of those categories.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Listen to these two videos—not necessarily for the Music, but the Message.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
hobbz
New Brawn
Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

hobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Oh man I got ODD, give me some sedatives!!! =)
LOL right there with you on this one!
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I teach a unit on defining abnormality. The whole thrust of it is that every definition is going to be flawed - yet for practical, ethical, medical and legal reasons there has to be some attempt at agreeing on one.

There is this phenomenon of 'pathologisation.' New 'syndromes' are added every year and there is certainly a danger that any deviation from regular human experience will have a mental health label attached to it. Some of the conditions in DSM (DSM IV has now been replaced with DSM V by the way) are controversial to my way of thinking.

Mental health legislation is potentially a very powerful way of controlling deviant members of the population, because (a) mental health carries a stigma such that inmates are not listened to and (b) inmates of mental health institutions can be chemically controlled and (c) someone sectioned under mental health acts has considerably fewer rights than a regular prisoner.

Governments have a long history of making use of this. In Japan, it's been argued that the emphasis on work being a prerequisite for mental health has been used as a good way of keeping the populace chained to their desks. In the USSR, of course, dissidents were carted off to lunatic asylums - because anyone who criticised the state was clearly insane. In America, troublemakers of all stripes were quietly carted off for treatment (see that film 'Changeling'). And so on.

But, but, but. It's easy to get carried away with this. What a society deems acceptable has to form a big part of mental health judgements. We mustn't romanticise everyone who opposes society as some sort of maverick non-conformist hero. I agree that ODD sounds a dodgy disorder, but at the same time I suspect if most of us lived next door to someone with the 'condition', we would think that there was something seriously wrong with them. And we would wish they lived somewhere else.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote