Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mind and Motivation (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Free Thinking as a Mental Illness (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13696)

BendtheBar 05-14-2013 01:28 AM

Free Thinking as a Mental Illness

Is Free Thinking A Mental Illness? - Off The Grid News

Quote:

Is nonconformity and freethinking a mental illness? According to the newest addition of the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), it certainly is. The manual identifies a new mental illness called “oppositional defiant disorder” or ODD. Defined as an “ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior,” symptoms include questioning authority, negativity, defiance, argumentativeness, and being easily annoyed.

big_swede 05-14-2013 01:46 AM

Oh man I got ODD, give me some sedatives!!! =)

Dray 05-14-2013 04:51 AM

They can wrest my ODD from my cold dead hands. :shoot:

EliteDreams 05-14-2013 11:16 AM

Doesn't agree with government.

Diagnosed with ODD.

5kgLifter 05-14-2013 11:23 AM

Freethinking and nonconformity aren't the same as either hostile or questioning authority, otherwise every politician would be ODD (not that they're not odd ;)).

Whoever wrote that just clumped the two together without even considering that they are nowhere near the same thing, just a form of control.

BendtheBar 05-14-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 363255)

Whoever wrote that just clumped the two together without even considering that they are nowhere near the same thing, just a form of control.

I would agree Babs. That is the first thing that crossed my mind.

I've seen some folks who were unreasonably hostile (easily annoyed) to anything mainstream or status quo. This wasn't based on free thinking, but rather some pseudo-elitist, self-elevating, world hating, depressing and insecure outlook on life and humanity in general.

Something like that.

5kgLifter 05-14-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 363261)
I would agree Babs. That is the first thing that crossed my mind.

I've seen some folks who were unreasonably hostile (easily annoyed) to anything mainstream or status quo. This wasn't based on free thinking, but rather some pseudo-elitist, self-elevating, world hating, depressing and insecure outlook on life and humanity in general.

Something like that.

Strangely, I'd heard of ODD, a little while back on Judge Judy, it was a teen and my thoughts were, she's a kid that's being a kid, nothing more, but having read those signs of how ODD supposedly manifests itself, the whole world, without exception, is now mentally ill and I reckon, it will easily be used against people as and when the authorities choose to do so because it is such a catch-all...no two ways about it, everybody falls into one of those categories.

SaxonViolence 05-14-2013 01:59 PM

Listen to these two videos—not necessarily for the Music, but the Message.

Saxon Violence

hobbz 05-14-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 363061)
Oh man I got ODD, give me some sedatives!!! =)

LOL right there with you on this one!

Tannhauser 05-14-2013 02:37 PM

I teach a unit on defining abnormality. The whole thrust of it is that every definition is going to be flawed - yet for practical, ethical, medical and legal reasons there has to be some attempt at agreeing on one.

There is this phenomenon of 'pathologisation.' New 'syndromes' are added every year and there is certainly a danger that any deviation from regular human experience will have a mental health label attached to it. Some of the conditions in DSM (DSM IV has now been replaced with DSM V by the way) are controversial to my way of thinking.

Mental health legislation is potentially a very powerful way of controlling deviant members of the population, because (a) mental health carries a stigma such that inmates are not listened to and (b) inmates of mental health institutions can be chemically controlled and (c) someone sectioned under mental health acts has considerably fewer rights than a regular prisoner.

Governments have a long history of making use of this. In Japan, it's been argued that the emphasis on work being a prerequisite for mental health has been used as a good way of keeping the populace chained to their desks. In the USSR, of course, dissidents were carted off to lunatic asylums - because anyone who criticised the state was clearly insane. In America, troublemakers of all stripes were quietly carted off for treatment (see that film 'Changeling'). And so on.

But, but, but. It's easy to get carried away with this. What a society deems acceptable has to form a big part of mental health judgements. We mustn't romanticise everyone who opposes society as some sort of maverick non-conformist hero. I agree that ODD sounds a dodgy disorder, but at the same time I suspect if most of us lived next door to someone with the 'condition', we would think that there was something seriously wrong with them. And we would wish they lived somewhere else.