Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Does the world revolve around you?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

For some reason, I've always been very empathetic. Yes, I get frustrated with other people, but I also often see how they may be in a tough position. My wife is one of those people. She has anxiety disorder, and even though she's a very nice person, if she's having an anxiety attack nothing else matters, and she'll scream in the face of a stranger if it comes to that. People sometimes just assume she's a bitch, but that couldn't be further from the truth. When she's having an anxiety attack, she just can't control herself. It's kind of sad.

When other people are having a bad time, I always try to assume that they are a victim of cercumstance, instead of just a bad person.

That reminds me of when I was a substitute teacher. I'd often go into a classroom in the morning and the teacher would have left a note. It would let me know what the kids were to do, and when I was working with younger kids at the end of the note it would almost always say something like "Watch out for Kevin and Steven. They are trouble."

Well I found something very interesting to be true. If I treated Kevin and Steven just exactly like I would treat everyone else, then they would usually be just fine. This teacher probably had a bad experience with these kids, and ever since she's been treating them differently. Like they're "bad kids". I don't believe in bad kids. I believe that some kids need more help learning to make better decisions, and if we write them off then all we are doing is failing them.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
For some reason, I've always been very empathetic. Yes, I get frustrated with other people, but I also often see how they may be in a tough position. My wife is one of those people. She has anxiety disorder, and even though she's a very nice person, if she's having an anxiety attack nothing else matters, and she'll scream in the face of a stranger if it comes to that. People sometimes just assume she's a bitch, but that couldn't be further from the truth. When she's having an anxiety attack, she just can't control herself. It's kind of sad.

When other people are having a bad time, I always try to assume that they are a victim of cercumstance, instead of just a bad person.

That reminds me of when I was a substitute teacher. I'd often go into a classroom in the morning and the teacher would have left a note. It would let me know what the kids were to do, and when I was working with younger kids at the end of the note it would almost always say something like "Watch out for Kevin and Steven. They are trouble."

Well I found something very interesting to be true. If I treated Kevin and Steven just exactly like I would treat everyone else, then they would usually be just fine. This teacher probably had a bad experience with these kids, and ever since she's been treating them differently. Like they're "bad kids". I don't believe in bad kids. I believe that some kids need more help learning to make better decisions, and if we write them off then all we are doing is failing them.

Great post mate.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I agree wholeheartedly with a lot of what that guy had to say, it seems. Thanks for posting that.

Default settings, yes. Difficult to adjust them, yes. Worthwhile doing, yes.

The whole speech is worth checking out, by the way. It's also on Youtube.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I watched the video last night. While the speaker had some great points, he also missed some great opportunities. Was disappointed as he was making a good moral argument for not focusing on self and then tried to walk away from it for fear of offending people. Reality is, self-centeredness IS a moral issue, not any particular moralistic view point except a basic humanistic view, "I am what is most important." When it was over I was left with, nice presentation but meh. He missed a great opportunity to really challenge.

Besides that much of the text was too small.

nuff said.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I could have done with watching that 30 years ago.

I really agree with the central argument - especially the idea that 'default mode' is to regard other people as fundamentally different - barely animate obstructions.

Really excellent.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Epinephrine
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

Thank you for posting that BtB. The mind really is everything...
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

This is not a concept I considered until I had children and was forced to understand that the world does not revolve around me.

There is a lot of joy to be found in life when you consciously decide to view it, and other people, differently.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

The world does revolve around me, Mom always said so...
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
startinglifter
New Brawn
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

startinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good postsstartinglifter has made some good posts

Great post BTB. Really does make one think.
startinglifter is offline   Reply With Quote