Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mind and Motivation (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Bravery- Do you have it? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13449)

glift 04-26-2013 05:15 PM

Bravery- Do you have it?
 
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...85759924_n.jpg

exskinny 05-01-2013 07:33 PM

Yes I do believe that everyone on here that works hard has it!

angie828 05-05-2013 03:37 PM

I once was scared but I do think that I have bravery now. I am working out to the best of my ability everyday and I love it.

SaxonViolence 05-05-2013 04:13 PM

I don't know where the idea that being afraid but doing it anyway was bravery...

That is a Heartless definition fit only for Citizen-Soldiers who Fear Death.

A True Warrior has no Fear of Pain or Death.

He has reached a place of Supreme Indifference.

Read "The Hagakure" to learn what true Bravery is.

"What is the 'Way of The Warrior'? It is simply this:

Whenever there is a Choice Between Life and Death, The Warrior Unhesitatingly Chooses Death."

"Cowards Theorize with the goal of Staying Alive Firmly in Mind."


Saxon Violence

Tannhauser 05-05-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaxonViolence (Post 359497)

A True Warrior has no Fear of Pain or Death.

He has reached a place of Supreme Indifference.

Read "The Hagakure" to learn what true Bravery is.

"What is the 'Way of The Warrior'? It is simply this:

"Whenever there is a Choice Between Life and Death, The Warrior Unhesitatingly Chooses Death."

I feel this would work better if each instance of the word 'warrior' was replaced with 'idiot'.

For example:

Whenever there is a Choice Between Life and Death, The Idiot Unhesitatingly Chooses Death."

RGRthat 05-05-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 359505)
I feel this would work better if each instance of the word 'warrior' was replaced with 'idiot'.

For example:

Whenever there is a Choice Between Life and Death, The Idiot Unhesitatingly Chooses Death."

1st: It has more to do with why they choose the risky situation. The Spartans believed that in the phalanx they should care for the person standing beside them more than they should fear the enemy.

2nd: There is also the glory aspect which differs by culture and by person. It is a "I would rather die for something than live for nothing"

3rd: Men are aggresive creatures. That is what drives us. It is a simple fact that men want to fight and kill. Being a warrior just means that you try your best to do the killing but accept that you might not be on that side of it.

BendtheBar 05-05-2013 05:29 PM

I have fear of death or pain. Not sure being a warrior is being fearless, but rather taking action despite these fears when it's needed.

ldydrgn 05-05-2013 06:05 PM

I was scared shitless at my first meet yesterday but I did it.. not sure if I would count that as bravery..lol

5kgLifter 05-05-2013 06:16 PM

I think bravery is doing something in the face of danger, whereas doing something that you really either don't want to or are just plain scared to do but following through with it anyway, shows a person's strength of character...IMO.

Tannhauser 05-06-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGRthat (Post 359518)
1st: It has more to do with why they choose the risky situation. The Spartans believed that in the phalanx they should care for the person standing beside them more than they should fear the enemy.

2nd: There is also the glory aspect which differs by culture and by person. It is a "I would rather die for something than live for nothing"

3rd: Men are aggresive creatures. That is what drives us. It is a simple fact that men want to fight and kill. Being a warrior just means that you try your best to do the killing but accept that you might not be on that side of it.

I'm not entirely sure what points you're making, but I'll have a bash at responding.

Your second point. I'd argue that the philosophy summed up in your quotation has sent countless millions of people to largely pointless deaths. The power-brokers protect their interests, and they do this by selling an ideology to the rank and file - it's for your country, it's for freedom, it's for God, it's defence against foreign aggression. There's always some entirely plausible reason why you need to lay down your life for someone else's interests.

Now, there may be times when terrific sacrifice is genuinely called for, against an enemy truly bent on destruction of an entire people. Fighting the nazis is an example. But mostly, glory is a convenient notion through which to convince the cannon-fodder to remain just that.

As for the third point, I dispute your 'simple fact'. It would be better phrased as: 'some men in some cultures want to fight and kill.' Even in relatively martial cultures like the US, there's plenty of men that have zero interest in fighting and killing. Then you have whole cultures or sub-cultures who don't go in for it: the !Kung-San aren't very into aggression, nor the Amish.

The implication seems to be 'it's in our nature.' Even if that's true - and it's debatable if it is - that's no excuse.

My response to Saxon's interesting post was suggesting that being truly indifferent to life or death is not something in the least bit admirable. And ayone who doesn't hesitate before choosing death - I can't help feeling that putting some sort of abstract warrior code before life is an example of how people can be made to believe in anything, if it's dressed up in romantic imagery.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.