Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I have fear of being injured to not be able to lift anymore, and what that would do to me mentaly. Also I have fear of injuring myself and not being able to support and take care of my family.

To be brave is also to be smart. The warrior always chose life, not death that is just plain stupidity.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

George Patton once said- " I am a soldier, I fight where I am told and I win, where I fight".

At no point, did he say die.

Being a warrior does not mean you, blindly choose death. To do that would make you and idiot and an ineffective warrior.

My job, was never to die for my country but rather, to give the other guy a chance to die for his.

Do not let Hollywood's version of manliness and bravado, determine what real honor and bravery, should look like.

A warrior ( hence a brave person) accepts death as a possibility NOT as a preferred option.

We all fear death and pain..... to say otherwise makes us either liars or fools.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

I thought someone would bring up Patton.

Anyone who would disparage Mother of Pearl Grips the way Patton did, is obviously a Chucklehead.

"Fit only for a Pimp in a New Orleans Whorehouse."

To which I reply:

A Pimp in a New Orleans Whorehouse Might have Mother of Pearl Grips on his Pistol...

If he had Good Taste in Grips And he was Prosperous.

Price a Pair ("Eagle Grips" is the most common Source).

In some instances, you can have more invested in the Grips than in the Gun.

The Samurai weren't perfect.

They had a few Flat Sides on their Wheel.

It goes without saying that they were far better people than most Americans today.

They had a code.

Without a code, one is almost certain to fall into both Hedonism and Pragmatism.

{And a "Flexible Code"—Oxymoron, What?!?—Is far worse than no code at all...}

Saxon Violence

Did anyone take the time to read "The Hagakure"?

Its available free online and is only about 50 pages long...
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post

It goes without saying that they were far better people than most Americans today.

They had a code.

Without a code, one is almost certain to fall into both Hedonism and Pragmatism.

Though a good example of a disciplined warrior they would not be considered "good people" in most people's opinion. They had no conscience and blindly followed any order given. They all had a habit of cutting down innocent people at the slightest percieved insult.

Also Mother of Pearl grips are just about as useless as a wooden stock on my .300 winmag. Sure they are pretty but that is not the point of a gun. If you want pretty get it in the form of a painting or a woman, it's just not what guns are for.
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
SCStrong
Max Brawn

SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
I thought someone would bring up Patton.

Anyone who would disparage Mother of Pearl Grips the way Patton did, is obviously a Chucklehead.

"Fit only for a Pimp in a New Orleans Whorehouse."

To which I reply:

A Pimp in a New Orleans Whorehouse Might have Mother of Pearl Grips on his Pistol...

If he had Good Taste in Grips And he was Prosperous.

Price a Pair ("Eagle Grips" is the most common Source).

In some instances, you can have more invested in the Grips than in the Gun.

They had a code.

Saxon Violence

Patton ( while not the know all, do all authority ) was absolutely correct in his assessment of pearl handles. Not sure how that relates to the subject matter but I will go with it.

Pearl handles offer more opportunities for failure in a combat situation. There is a reason that the 1911 was not mass produced with such flash, for military use.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Bravery = knowingly risking your life/well being to help another. Military, Police and Firefighters do this on a routine basis.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
SCStrong
Max Brawn

An afterthought- Saxon Stated:
"Without a code, one is almost certain to fall into both Hedonism and Pragmatism."

If one were defining the desired attributes of a warrior- I would think that being pragmatic would be on the list.

To be clear pragmatism is defined as :"a practical approach to problems and affairs"

Pragmatists emphasize the practical function of knowledge as an instrument for adapting to reality and controlling it
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:

I did check it out. I'm currently on p5 and unlikely to go any further. I'm used to reading all sorts of arcane and esoteric material, but I'm finding it unreadable. The problem for me is that it doesn't advance a coherent argument -it's simply a collection of assertions. For example, right on p2 we have:

Quote:
It is bad taste to yawn in front of people. When one unexpectedly has to yawn, if he rubs his forehead in an upward direction , the sensation will stop . If that does not work, he can lick his lips while keeping his mouth closed, or simply hide it with his hand or his sleeve in such a way that no one will know what he is doing. It is the same with sneezing. One will appear foolish. There are other things besides these about which a person should use care and training.
Is it a metaphor, or simply a bit of etiquette? Who knows, because the next sentence reads:

Quote:
When a certain person was saying that present matters of economy should be detailed, someone replied that this is not good at all.
Maybe it's lost in translation?

Also, it seems a kind of charter for enforcers of the feudal system. So we have:

Quote:
A man is a good retainer to the extent that he earnestly places importance in his master. This is the highest sort of retainer. If one is born into a prominent family that goes back for generations, it is sufficient to deeply consider the matter of obligation to one's ancestors, to lay down one's body and mind, and to earnestly esteem one's master.
It rests on a notion of a fixed societal order, in which position and power are dictated by ancestry and divine right. Which is a silly, inefficient and fundamentally unfair way of organising a society - one that rests upon a monumental con.

I can't find much merit in it apart from quote-mining. However, I may be missing the point completely as I'm only looking at it in a very superficial way, and I've only read a smalll proportion of it.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

i had a really terrifying nightmare the other night and didn't even wake up from it, just kept on sleeping till it was time to wake up. i think that's pretty brave.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I did check it out. I'm currently on p5 and unlikely to go any further. I'm used to reading all sorts of arcane and esoteric material, but I'm finding it unreadable. The problem for me is that it doesn't advance a coherent argument -it's simply a collection of assertions. For example, right on p2 we have:

Is it a metaphor, or simply a bit of etiquette? Who knows, because the next sentence reads:

Maybe it's lost in translation?

Also, it seems a kind of charter for enforcers of the feudal system. So we have:

It rests on a notion of a fixed societal order, in which position and power are dictated by ancestry and divine right. Which is a silly, inefficient and fundamentally unfair way of organising a society - one that rests upon a monumental con.

I can't find much merit in it apart from quote-mining. However, I may be missing the point completely as I'm only looking at it in a very superficial way, and I've only read a smalll proportion of it.
I read the entire text - I thought it was just me that found it un readable. Glad to know I am not the only one.