Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mind and Motivation (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Build the Positive, Destroy the Negative? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12151)

BendtheBar 01-09-2013 04:49 PM

Build the Positive, Destroy the Negative?

Today I received a random email from a group that has organized specifically to work and get the tax exempt status taken away from Westboro Church.

So, the question came to mind...

When it comes to energy and time, do you think it's better to invest your time in tearing down the negative, or building up the positive?

This is a complex topic, but one I have asked myself often.

For example, would all the man hours used to try and dethrone these folks be better spent on helping people in need in their local communities?

Not asking this as a leading question. Simply tossing it out for discussion.

5kgLifter 01-09-2013 04:53 PM

Sometimes you have to invest time and effort tearing down the negative.

LtL 01-09-2013 05:16 PM

My gut feel is to say that these people's time would be better spent doing positive things. At the very least then they would be happier even if their efforts don't stop Westboro. I guess I'm just selfish but I'm fine with that :)

Tannhauser 01-09-2013 05:31 PM

In the case of Westboro Baptist, I think they thrive on publicity. Don't they make some of their money from lawsuits based on civil rights infringement? So I wonder in that particular case the effort spent in attacking them is misplaced.

5kgLifter 01-09-2013 05:59 PM

Is this thread about Westboro? If so, ignore my comment, I have no idea who or what they are...I assumed it was a generalised question.

EliteDreams 01-10-2013 04:58 AM

I mentioned this ever so briefly in a video. We constantly see and hear destructive,criticising thoughts on the news,on the forums (MAB exempt),even when we go shopping.

The best way to break a bad habit is to replace it with a good habit. So I think both building the positive and breaking the negative go hand in hand.

Wait,wait,I just realized I'm not exactly on topic.

There are plenty of people in need,so yes,I say let the positive energy flow! Cause and effect. You can work on removing cause,or working on the effect. Damnit I'm back where I started. Shutting up now.

Tannhauser 01-10-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 310332)
Is this thread about Westboro? If so, ignore my comment, I have no idea who or what they are...I assumed it was a generalised question.

BTB's original question was general, but as I'm interested in Westboro, I mentioned them in response. They are a fundamentalist christian community that very publicly espouse outrageously offensive opinions. Louis Theroux has done a couple of documentaries on them.

Goat 01-10-2013 04:46 PM

Better to build muscle or beat cancer into remission?

In the 1950's these people would not be a problem (westboro). What are we doing wrong now that we were not then?

IronWill 01-10-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 310708)
BTB's original question was general, but as I'm interested in Westboro, I mentioned them in response. They are a fundamentalist christian community that very publicly espouse outrageously offensive opinions. Louis Theroux has done a couple of documentaries on them.

Yeah, they are pretty f'd up. Religion hijacked by hate again. VERY Christian...

SCStrong 01-10-2013 06:00 PM

Westboro is a cancer on he backside of humanity. The Christian community should actively seek to admonish and correct Westboro for the evil, hateful, behavior.

As for Westboro.- I say this- Christ said we were to love the Lord with all our hearts and souls and love our brothers as ourselves. ( Paraphrased)
Westboro has failed at this. They need to stop being evil.

I think that we are charged to fight evil and not be the proverbial good man who does nothing. Not all Christians are hate filled- many of us choose to try to love every one.
Hate the sin - love the sinner.