Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #61
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sounds intriguing
It is. I was NOT convinced that it would be that great when I first heard it, but it was really very good.

Very basic day today, I really don't want to think about how many calories I took in though. Today was more of a low-carb day than a Paleo, and with the amount of dessert I ate tonight, it wasn't all that low carb. Sweet turns me off quickly, but this was the perfect place where I just kept eating it.

Coffee & Whey
4 eggs, 1/4# breakfast sausage

Lunch Spicy Chicken Soup -
1 whole chicken, de-boned, skinned, and cut into small pieces
1 onion chopped
1# carrots, peeled and chopped
About the same amount of celery, chopped
1# green beans
1 can green chili
1 quart chicken broth
Salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and a bay leaf

cook chicken in a large dutch oven on the stove top
Add veggies, let cook another 5 minutes
Add stock and seasonings
Let cook on medium heat, covered, for 40-45 minutes

Dinner: Hamburgers and Hot Wings Classy, huh?

5# hamburger, made into patties
2 large cookie sheets worth of wings

Pre-heat oven to 425.
Place wings on sheets and spice them
- I use cayenne, black pepper, dark chili powder, and a little salt
cook for an hour

Grill burgers or cook in a pan if thats your thing.
- I like to mix in minced garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper into the meat as I make patties

Take wings out once the hour is up, coat in hot sauce, place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove wings from oven, place in a large bowl, add a little more sauce to them, and toss.

It takes a little practice to get everything to finish cooking at once, but its worth it. Serve with cheese, pickles, lettuce, stone ground mustard, and anything else you like.

Dessert
Ingredients for "cookie" bottom:

* 1 cup Carbquik Bake Mix*
* 1 stick (1/4 lb) unsalted butter, softened
* 1/4 cup Splenda*

Preheat oven to 350F.
Put all ingredients in food processor and process in pulses until crumbly. Press into a greased 9x13x2 cake pan. Bake 15 minutes or until just browned. Allow to cool while you prepare filling.

Ingredients for filling layer #1:

* 4 eggs
* 1 cup Splenda*
* 5 Tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 tsp lemon zest (grated lemon rind)
* 1/2 pkg Lemon flavor gelatin
* 2 Tablespoons water

Beat these ingredients together well. Pour over slightly cooled crust and put back in oven for 30 minutes or until set (watch carefully — ovens vary!) Cool completely. Then mix...

Ingredients for filling layer #2:

* 4 Tablespoons Splenda*
* 3 oz cream cheese
* 1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Blend all ingredients for final layer well, and drizzle over bars. Refrigerate and cut into squares and enjoy!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #62
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Take wings out once the hour is up, coat in hot sauce, place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
Good tip. I have never tried this with chicken or wings. I am used to just hammering them with hot sauce once they are cooked.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #63
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Very normal Monday

Coffee & Whey
4 eggs, 1/4# bacon
3 hamburgers - 1/2# each pre-cooked weight
The usual smoothie

Dinner: Taco Salad

The only thing to report here is that I weighed out the meat that I usually give myself, and its pretty close to 1 pound, so I topped it off and hand a grand old time.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #64
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I saw bacon. You win.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #65
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Bacon makes the world a better place.

Today is the day of experimental sauces and dressings. I was out of most everything I wanted today, but ended up with pretty good combinations in the end.

Whey and Coffee
6 eggs, 1/4# bacon
3.5 burgers with sharp cheddar, bacon, and Wing Sauce - Was out of mustard and low carb ketchup, and the wing sauce was actually pretty darn good.
Smoothie. Tempted to add bacon, but not this time.

Dinner - Chicken, ham and bacon salad with Caesar Salad Dressing. I had no vinegar except industrial strength white that I use for cleaning, but the dressing worked pretty well.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #66
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

You know with Paleo, sauces are one of my fascinations. I grew up in a culture that plopped a bland piece of meat on a plate, and it was followed by the statement...eat up, there are starving kids in China.

Great thread Brute. Learn a lot from your little Paleo tidbits that you might consider minor.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #67
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Bratwurst Wednesday successful.

No leftovers from last night really, so lunch was a bit boring, but a good day over all.

Coffee & Whey
7 oz ham steak w/ 6 eggs
4 Cans of tuna mixed with mayo, mustard, carrots, parmesan cheese

Dinner - Bratwurst Stew.
Same as before, but this time with 3.5 pounds of bratwurst. Pretty much everything I could have hoped it would be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stew.png
Views:	31
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	3813  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #68
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You know with Paleo, sauces are one of my fascinations. I grew up in a culture that plopped a bland piece of meat on a plate, and it was followed by the statement...eat up, there are starving kids in China.

Great thread Brute. Learn a lot from your little Paleo tidbits that you might consider minor.
I'm really glad you're finding it useful. It started as a way to keep me from shying away from eating enough to put on some strength, but I'm hoping some of the crew here try out some of these dishes and even contribute their own
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #69
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

I've been eating a bunch of trash the past few days and most of it isn't worth writing down. I'll be doing a brief cutting type diet, maybe 2 weeks, to get the cravings under control, in which I will be getting into what I know works.

Carbs will be dropped precipitously.
Almost no processed food - bacon is about as far as I will go.
VERY minimal dairy
Drastically limit artificial sweeteners. Whey will only be consumed post-workout.

This works very well for me to break away from the massive addiction I have to junk. I've been getting very moody lately, craving bad good enough to start shaking, and being completely unable to control how much of it I eat. While I don't mind gaining weight in the name of strength, I'm not going back to being a fatass. Once this is complete, the regularly scheduled bulk will return.

It started with cornbread at my parents house. Real cornbread, in a cast iron skillet. Crumbled in whole milk. Good stuff, but not in the amounts I consume.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #70
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Drastically limit artificial sweeteners.
What are your thoughts on their usage with Paleo? I have heard some people claim they spike insulin but have never taken the time to research this...