Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #121
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Don't remember if it was T-Nation or EFS, but one of them had an article on dreamfields pasta. Seems more and more people are checking it out, which makes me happy, because maybe it will be carried at more grocery stores.

I've officially started the cut now, topping out at 272 Sunday morning. I don't really want to cut, but I feel that I've been gaining too much fat and I'm getting sloppy with my diet. Aiming to be back at 240 by June. Rather than drop calories too far, I'm going to be manipulating my blood sugar and insulin levels to keep fat as the primary fuel, which means no whey for me for a while, it spikes my blood sugar almost as effectively as orange juice, even when mixed with milk.

Food has been good, sunday I had a great Caesar Salad and tonight was taco salad, but I brought it down to 12 oz of meat instead of 16. Breakfasts are unchanged.

Part of what brought this on was low blood sugar after eating at a restaurant on Saturday. The big influx of carbs after nachos and a chimichanga spiked my insulin hard and brought my blood sugar down to around 50 before I got it going back up. I then promptly devoured 2 large pizzas and some hotwings to mark the end of the bulk.

After 2 days of under 20g usable carbs a day, my self control is returning and I feel better all over. I want to get the fat off as quickly as possible without losing much muscle so I can begin another bulk in the early summer when its easier to feast on grilled meat than it is during the dead of winter, when pizza and dark beer call my name once the sun goes down at 5 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #122
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Aiming to be back at 240 by June.
You and me both. Let's get this done.

Quote:
hich means no whey for me for a while, it spikes my blood sugar almost as effectively as orange juice, even when mixed with milk.
Interesting. I've been considering dropping it for a while, but was trying to figure out what to replace it with. Sounds silly, I know, but my metabolism is so slow that I don't want to eat many calories during the day.

Anyway, on to 240.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #123
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You and me both. Let's get this done.

Interesting. I've been considering dropping it for a while, but was trying to figure out what to replace it with. Sounds silly, I know, but my metabolism is so slow that I don't want to eat many calories during the day.

Anyway, on to 240.
I've been wondering what to do about this myself. I made a rule for myself back when this all began in 2008 that I would never eat anything nasty in my mission to get healthy. Protein shakes have helped me keep my protein intake up when I don't want extra calories, but they also slow down fat burning for me. So I'm considering breaking my rule and downing a 4 oz can of tuna w/ mustard and mayo instead of whey. Comes close to breaking my rule, but I've moved past the initial phase and want a lot more out of myself than I did when it all started, so maybe its time. The reason for tuna is 4 oz is around the same number of calories as 1 scoop of whey. With a half tbsp of mayo and plenty of mustard, it should hit for around 140 calories, which isn't too bad.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #124
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've been thinking about just sticking with eggs and string cheese in the morning, along with strawberries.

I think I could eat 700-800 calories prior to dinner and get enough protein without feeling stuffed.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #125
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Breakfasts are holding steady with eggs and bacon. Lunches have been leftovers

Apricot pork for Tuesday
Spaghetti last night
Hamburgers and Hot Wings tonight

Taking in around 2500 calories a day, so about 1/2 what I had been.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #126
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Ever jun into Kraft jalapeno string cheese? Taste is pretty decent, but it's hard to find.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #127
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Ever jun into Kraft jalapeno string cheese? Taste is pretty decent, but it's hard to find.
I haven't seen it, but it sounds pretty darn good. I had a bag of white cheddar strips I was using for a while, but I'm thinking of going to the Italian deli near here and getting some of the habanero jack cheese and cutting it into 1 oz pieces. Its pretty hot, and very good flavor.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #128
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

The cut continues in style. Carne asada Friday night, and last night was a thick steak topped with mushrooms with broccoli and mashed cauliflower "potatoes"

Steak was grilled after being marinated in soy sauce and garlic powder over night. The faux-tatoes were about the same as usual, but I added 2 cups of shredded sharp white cheddar to them and crumbled some bacon over them. Good eating.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #129
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Light day today. A little hung over, and the girlfriend is out of town, so I get caught up in work or other things and forget meals. I remembered to eat twice today, so thats not bad.

3 eggs, 2 strips of bacon, coffee

Dinner: Chicken Caesar Salad w/ Paleo Caesar dressing
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch chunks and pan fried in olive oil
1 head romaine lettuce
1/3 cup dressing

Pretty darn good.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #130
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Nice and easy day today.

3 eggs, 2 strips bacon, coffee

8 oz tuna mixed with 1 tbsp mayo and a lot of mustard

Parmesan Chicken Legs and Green beans: ate 4 legs and 1.5 cups of beans.
8 chicken legs
1 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp coconut flour
oregano, basil, garlic, salt to taste

Coat legs in the breading, place in pre-heated oven at 350 for 45 minutes