Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
tank
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
tank's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 2,329
Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 19889
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor
Question Powerlifting and Gluten Allergy and/or Lactose Intolerance

I was recently told by my doc that I may be lactose intolerant and/or have a gluten allergy. We don't know because I'm deployed and can't get tested for allergies out here. I could be have a Gluten allergy called Celiac's Desease, I could be lactose intolerant, I could be both, or I could have neither! So, he told me to avoid milk and most carbs (due to the near omni-present Gluten ingredient) until I get back to the states and get allergy testing done.

That being said, anyone know good ways I can still get those calories and energy? I was drinking a lot of milk with every meal and eating a lot of carbs to get bigger while powerlifting, so I don't really know the BEST things I can do to compensate. Any and all personal tips, advice, experiences welcome! Thanks guys.
__________________
My Training Journal 5' 8" Current BW 207 (94) lbs (kg)

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ

Last edited by tank; 11-26-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Comma problems
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 80,910
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2581830
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

First thing I want to mention is the "3 day crash." You might feel fuzzy the first 3 days away from grain-based carbs. Hang in there, it gets better.

My best advice is to attack fat. It's real easy on a limited carb diet to undereat fat. I did this and it left me very weak. Here are some tips:

--Lean meat is not necessarily your friend. Don't shy away from the high fat meats.
--Butter is very healthy. Add it to veggies or with meats when possible.
--Olive oil is another great choice. Vinegar and olive oil dressing for your salads will add calories and fats.
--Almonds, nuts and seeds. Snack on them! Calories and fats.
--Eat your fruits and veggies. You need as muich good nutrition as possible.
--If you aren't doing strict Paleo, which you aren't, legumes might be ok. Some people with Celiacs seem to be bothered by legumes. Read this =>

Celiac and Legumes

--Remember that many dairy products have little to no lactose. Most cheeses, sour cream, etc. are almost all fat and protein. You may be able to eat these en masse.

--Bacon! Bacon! Bacon!
--Pork rinds are a great snack choice at night.
--Don't avoid skin and other organ meat if you like it.

The first 3 days on lower carbs I highly recommend you monitor your calories to make sure you are eating plenty. The real key to a satisfying low-grain based carb diet is satiety...eat when you are hungry without limitations. Snack when you feel like snacking.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."


BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
tank
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
tank's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 2,329
Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 19889
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
First thing I want to mention is the "3 day crash." You might feel fuzzy the first 3 days away from grain-based carbs. Hang in there, it gets better.

My best advice is to attack fat. It's real easy on a limited carb diet to undereat fat. I did this and it left me very weak. Here are some tips:

--Lean meat is not necessarily your friend. Don't shy away from the high fat meats.
--Butter is very healthy. Add it to veggies or with meats when possible.
--Olive oil is another great choice. Vinegar and olive oil dressing for your salads will add calories and fats.
--Almonds, nuts and seeds. Snack on them! Calories and fats.
--Eat your fruits and veggies. You need as muich good nutrition as possible.
--If you aren't doing strict Paleo, which you aren't, legumes might be ok. Some people with Celiacs seem to be bothered by legumes. Read this =>

Celiac and Legumes

--Remember that many dairy products have little to no lactose. Most cheeses, sour cream, etc. are almost all fat and protein. You may be able to eat these en masse.

--Bacon! Bacon! Bacon!
--Pork rinds are a great snack choice at night.
--Don't avoid skin and other organ meat if you like it.

The first 3 days on lower carbs I highly recommend you monitor your calories to make sure you are eating plenty. The real key to a satisfying low-grain based carb diet is satiety...eat when you are hungry without limitations. Snack when you feel like snacking.
Thanks a lot for the insight! I'll read that link, and I'm going to start implementing these things asap.
__________________
My Training Journal 5' 8" Current BW 207 (94) lbs (kg)

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 80,910
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2581830
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

I asked a couple more guys to chime in
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."


BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Squatter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: JimGym/CrewGym
Posts: 10,250
Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Reputation: 735585
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!
Default

Hi Tank!! I have Celiac Disease. Firstly, carbs are not the enemy. Gluten is. If you avoid anything derived from wheat, rye, and barley, you will be good to go. To be 100% safe, you can go completely grain free. However, grains like Quinoa and buckwheat are gluten-free, as well as rice and corn of course. Oats are gluten-free, but are always contaminated in the mill. You must buy guaranteed uncontaminated oats. I can supply a link if you like.

The biggest concern with situations where you do not make your own meals, is cross contamination. For example, french fries are gluten free, but if they are deep fried in a fryer that breaded chicken fingers have been fried in, the fries are not gluten free anymore. Even if a steak is cooked on a grill where garlic toast has been on, the steak is no longer gluten free.

As I mentioned before, carbs are not a problem. Eat all the veggies, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, etc you want.

And lastly, going gluten-free will almost always make you lactose tolerant. Yep, even if you are lactose intolerant, going gluten free will reverse that.

Gluten is a real nasty substance that looks like glue, and really is not fit for human consumption. In many ways, Celiac Disease is a blessing. It has been for me.

Please feel free to ask me any more questions.
__________________
My Favorite Part Of Lifting Is Having The Opportunity
Meet PR's: (May 2014)
Squat 475 lbs
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs
Age: 50

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
tank
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
tank's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 2,329
Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 19889
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor
Default

how did you discover you add celiacs? i'm not sure if my symptoms are from gluten or milk.
__________________
My Training Journal 5' 8" Current BW 207 (94) lbs (kg)

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Wlfdg
Senior Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Wlfdg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Teton Valley,ID
Posts: 392
Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Reputation: 2700
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts
Default

Hey Tank, First and foremost, Thank you for your service!
I'm completely dairy and gluten intolerant. I eat a very strict, you might even say Spartan Paleo diet.

To add to what BtB posted.
Great carb source is sweet potatoes.
To bump up you kcal intake and get some much needed MCT's add in plenty of coconut products.
Don't be afraid of saturated fat.

Pretty typical day of eating for me is
Bfast - 1/4lb of bacon or 1/2lb of ground turkey, beef or pork, 8 whole eggs cooked in tallow, coconut oil or bacon fat, roasted sweet potato, 1 piece of fruit, 1 - 1/2 avocado
black coffee

pre-train - 1 egg boiled, banana, green tea, 1-2ozs. 88% or darker chocolate

Lunch - fruit, 1.25 - 1.5 lbs of meat or fish, 10ozs, veggies cooked in meat fat or coconut oil

Dinner - 1.5lbs. of meat or fish, 10-12ozs. of veggies cooked in animal fat.

I have no problem eating 3,000 - 5,000+ kcals a day
__________________

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
tank
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
tank's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 2,329
Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 19889
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
Hey Tank, First and foremost, Thank you for your service!
I'm completely dairy and gluten intolerant. I eat a very strict, you might even say Spartan Paleo diet.

To add to what BtB posted.
Great carb source is sweet potatoes.
To bump up you kcal intake and get some much needed MCT's add in plenty of coconut products.
Don't be afraid of saturated fat.

Pretty typical day of eating for me is
Bfast - 1/4lb of bacon or 1/2lb of ground turkey, beef or pork, 8 whole eggs cooked in tallow, coconut oil or bacon fat, roasted sweet potato, 1 piece of fruit, 1 - 1/2 avocado
black coffee

pre-train - 1 egg boiled, banana, green tea, 1-2ozs. 88% or darker chocolate

Lunch - fruit, 1.25 - 1.5 lbs of meat or fish, 10ozs, veggies cooked in meat fat or coconut oil

Dinner - 1.5lbs. of meat or fish, 10-12ozs. of veggies cooked in animal fat.

I have no problem eating 3,000 - 5,000+ kcals a day
np. thank you for sharing your experience!
__________________
My Training Journal 5' 8" Current BW 207 (94) lbs (kg)

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
Squatter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: JimGym/CrewGym
Posts: 10,250
Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Reputation: 735585
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
how did you discover you add celiacs? i'm not sure if my symptoms are from gluten or milk.
I started to have issues with very loose or pure liquid bowel movements on a regular basis. At first, I thought it was a stomach flu. I went to my Family Doc and she suspected Celiac. At that time, I said I had Celiac when I was a kid. She said "what? I told her it went away. She had a good laugh with that. It didn't go away, even tho I had no symptoms for as long as I can remember. Celiac can be a nasty disease in that respect - destroying my intestines and I didn't even know it.

Anyway, my Doc did a blood test which came back positive. To confirm it, I had a tissue sample taken from my intestine. It's a quick day surgery thing.
__________________
My Favorite Part Of Lifting Is Having The Opportunity
Meet PR's: (May 2014)
Squat 475 lbs
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs
Age: 50

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
tank
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
 
tank's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 2,329
Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
Reputation: 19889
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
I started to have issues with very loose or pure liquid bowel movements on a regular basis. At first, I thought it was a stomach flu. I went to my Family Doc and she suspected Celiac. At that time, I said I had Celiac when I was a kid. She said "what? I told her it went away. She had a good laugh with that. It didn't go away, even tho I had no symptoms for as long as I can remember. Celiac can be a nasty disease in that respect - destroying my intestines and I didn't even know it.

Anyway, my Doc did a blood test which came back positive. To confirm it, I had a tissue sample taken from my intestine. It's a quick day surgery thing.
thanks for the information. i'm starting to think what i'm dealing with is a lactose intolerance, but i'm continuing to experiment. i ate wheat with each meal today, and was fine all day, but a couple of hours ago i had one of those little cans of coffee energy drink in which milk was the 2nd main ingredient, and lo-and-behold my guts are tore up from the floor up. i know that good takes a long time to digest, but it seemed like way too much of a coincidence that it happened at that time combined with the fact that i avoided milk all day and had no issues, when on a normal day drinking a ton of milk i would have been in the bathroom with serious "issues" throughout the day.

all of this stemmed from my attempt at incorporating GOMAD diet, but at least it made apparent a deficiency of which i had no clue so now i can avoid it.
__________________
My Training Journal 5' 8" Current BW 207 (94) lbs (kg)

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
allergy, and or or, celiac, gluten, intolerance, lactose, powerlifting


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lactose Intolerant jackson Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 4 06-25-2012 07:34 AM
Opinions on Milk casien and lactose carbs SeventySeven Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 2 04-04-2012 11:20 AM
Lactose intolerance and whey MikeC Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 6 03-14-2012 10:17 AM
Intolerance to foods seth78 Nutrition, Diet and Supplements 8 12-15-2011 08:56 AM
Lactose intolerance lower than thought: study Dork McSchlorp General Board 0 10-22-2009 10:19 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.