Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Caveman Restuarant

No bread, pasta or sugar: Stone Age-style restaurant serves only food that was available to our caveman ancestors

Back to the Stone Age: Trendy restaurant serves food only available to our caveman ancestors | Mail Online

Quote:
At first glance, Berlin's Sauvage restaurant looks much like many of the German capital's other trendy eateries.

But take a closer look at the chalkboard out front and you'll discover they are embarking on a culinary shake-up that takes its inspiration from the Stone Age.

Proudly announcing a 'Real Food Revolution - Paleolithic cuisine!', there is no cheese, bread or sugar available, only fare accessible to our hunter-gatherer ancestors more than two million years ago.

The restaurant menu shows a stereotypical image of modern humanity's forbearer, the jutting profile of a hirsute caveman.

Inside, diners eat at candle-lit tables with a contemporary cave painting hanging in the background, according to Spiegel Online.

Sauvage, which is also the French word for 'savage' or 'wild,' is part of the Paleolithic diet movement and claims to be first of its kind in Europe.

That means serving only organic, unprocessed fruit and vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, and herbs.
Our Paleolithic ancestors would not have had been able to call upon our modern culinary skills

Our Paleolithic ancestors would not have had been able to call upon our modern culinary skills

The truly obsessed build an entire lifestyle around the concept, mimicking caveman-era exercise.

This can involve lifting boulders and running barefoot, with some even emulating the blood loss they believe Stone Age hunters might have experienced in pursuit of their dinner by donating blood every few months.

But guests at Sauvage can try 'Paleo' without feeling obligated to take on a strictly Stone Age lifestyle.

Sauvage's Boris Leite-Poço told Spiegel Online of the growing interest in caveman cooking.

He said: 'Many people think the Paleolithic diet is just some hipster trend, but it's a worldwide phenomenon, with an online community that spans the globe.

'The trend is probably strongest in the United States, where people who have had enough of the fast food way of life and generations of illness have taken it up.'

The menu includes salads with olives, capers and pine nuts; gluten-free bread with nut-based butter or olive tapenades; smoked salmon with herb dressing; and other various meat and fish dishes.

Gluten- and sugar-free cakes, like a spicy pumpkin pie, are available for those Stone Age diners who don't want to skip desert.

Earlier this year, thousands of people rated the Paleo diet the best way to lose weight, despite a report claiming it was ineffective.

A U.S. News and World Report said the regime, otherwise known as the Caveman diet, would 'likely disappoint... and was the least effective for weight loss.'

But a poll beneath the review revealed that 3,292 people said that the diet had worked for them, compared with just 85 who said that it didn't.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
A U.S. News and World Report said the regime, otherwise known as the Caveman diet, would 'likely disappoint... and was the least effective for weight loss.
A diet only fails because of the person following it... People need to quit blaming the diet and blame the people.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 10-31-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
A diet only fails because of the person following it... People need to quit blaming the diet and blame the people.
But bigger forks make me eat more.....

on a serious note, paleo style eating has helped me go from 270-250 in 5 weeks and i still get stronger every week. Unless someone is slipping me winny in my sleep, I think the diet is working.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I suppose low fat, high sugar is the way to go. The strong watch the weak roll by, and keep squatting through the abuse shouted by those who can't get out of their chair.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I will say this...Paleo or not, if you toss out processed/fake foods alone your world will change for the better.

Imagine a world without chicken and boxed mac and cheese...

My daughter slept at a friend's last weekend and this was what they were served by the parents:

Saturday dinner - Mac and cheese with chicken nuggets.
Saturday night snack - Chips and soda.
Sunday breakfast - Poptarts and a juice box.
Sunday lunch - Leftover mac and cheese with chicken nuggets.

Certainly I am not against fun days like this, but the reality is that this style of eating has become a 7 day per week staple for most kids. Parents fear fat in milk so they serve juice boxes...on and on it goes...

My wife and I went shopping this weekend and I was laughing at the "low fat caramel" sauce. They removed one of the only healthy things in the product, (the fat from) heavy cream, and replaced it with skim milk.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-31-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Well, that's ^^ better than what my 13 y/o daughter got fed at a recent sleepover. She was the lucky recipient of a "Monster" brand energy drink and a bag of chips.

I taught my daughter how to eat properly years ago, and she looks and feels the part today. She still doesn't eat properly at school, for fear of being poked fun of, but she does at home. And yes, she does have treats once in awhile, like every other kid. She even asks me most every day" Did I eat healthy enough today dad?" The answer is usually "Yes"

I have been gluten, and for the most part, processed, fast, and junk food free for over 7 years and never felt better. I'll have some gluten free cake at birthday's, etc and the occasional treat, but that's it.

Question tho - is milk OK on a Paleo Diet? Did cavepeople milk anything? LOL.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I will say this...Paleo or not, if you toss out processed/fake foods alone your world will change for the better.

Imagine a world without chicken and boxed mac and cheese...

My daughter slept at a friend's last weekend and this was what they were served by the parents:

Saturday dinner - Mac and cheese with chicken nuggets.
Saturday night snack - Chips and soda.
Sunday breakfast - Poptarts and a juice box.
Sunday lunch - Leftover mac and cheese with chicken nuggets.

Certainly I am not against fun days like this, but the reality is that this style of eating has become a 7 day per week staple for most kids. Parents fear fat in milk so they serve juice boxes...on and on it goes...

My wife and I went shopping this weekend and I was laughing at the "low fat caramel" sauce. They removed one of the only healthy things in the product, (the fat from) heavy cream, and replaced it with skim milk.
And yet they ignore the fat in:

Mac and cheese with chicken nuggets.
Chips
Poptarts
Leftover mac and cheese with chicken nuggets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Well, that's ^^ better than what my 13 y/o daughter got fed at a recent sleepover. She was the lucky recipient of a "Monster" brand energy drink and a bag of chips.
That's really bad, can't they even make milkshakes any more?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Parents fear fat in milk so they serve juice boxes...on and on it goes...
I was at my Sisters house for breakfast yesterday, and went looking for milk. I saw the skim milk, which I know she always has on hand. I thought she also kept whole milk; I was wrong. I asked for fat milk, or cream to mix it with, and she scoffed at the idea. I told her whole milk was so much better, and she just looked at me like I was on crack.

I went from whole milk to 2%, then 1% years ago. I just recently rediscovered the supreme awesomeness of whole milk again.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post

Question tho - is milk OK on a Paleo Diet? Did cavepeople milk anything? LOL.
Some consume diary and some don't. For most the point is to eat a more natural diet. Our ancestors did not consume rape seed oil, corn oils or sugars, MSG, margarine, or any other fake foods. They did not avoid skin, organs or fat. They ate most of the animal. The consumption of milk is not too far off from this dynamic.

Dairy products are certainly far more natural than the consumption of grains. Our ancestors didn't eat grains like we do, and if they did, they followed a fermentation process to reduce/remove toxins.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-31-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
NTO
never too old
Brawn
Points: 1,372, Level: 20 Points: 1,372, Level: 20 Points: 1,372, Level: 20
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: <1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Animal Pak
NTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality postsNTO has made some quality posts

Regarding milk..just read this in an editrion of Men's Health magazine..

"The idea that dietary fat causes heafrt disease has taken anothe hit. Ingesting full-fat milk does not raise cardiovascular risk, according to a Greek study. The calcium, magnesium, potassium, conjugated linoleic acid, and vitamin D in full fat may even protect arteries."

Not sure on the validity of the piece. Still searching for the study to read more. Wouldn't be suprised if it were spot-on though.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-Al
NTO is offline   Reply With Quote