Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Anabolic/metabolic diet experience?

I was already experimenting with low carb dieting to eventually move into a big time cut (I haven't began the cut yet, as I'm still in PCT for a cycle of epistane) when I came across the info about the anabolic diet on t-nation. I didn't get the book, but I've been reading my butt off for two days, and am currently on my second day of the 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs ratio. Since I was already doing low carb, I'm going to go ahead and do my first carb up this weekend. I think I'm going to have pizza, for the first time in over a year!

I had planned to/been cycling carbs based on my training schedule, but this is more predicatable and it seems like people have had fantastic results.

Has anyone tried this specific version of low carb/carb cycling?
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

How long is the carb up window? I forgot.

I use it indirectly...Paleo during the week and carbs on weekend with family meals. But I've never run it with extreme precision, meaning that during the week I don't limit calories much.

I've read a lot about it and the results seem top notch.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

It's supposed to be all weekend, but I'm reading that many with more fat to loose cut it to a day or even a meal. I think I might actually make Friday evening and saturday my carb up window, as my wife's parents usually take us out on Friday nights. It's been 5 weeks since I've had alchohol because I've been on the Epistane, so it'll be nice to get out and have some fun served in a bottle, as long as it fits with my diet.

I'm going to keep eating as I feel hungry for the next few weeks and see how my body reacts as I finish up my post cycle thereapy, then adjust my calories down as needed for fat loss. I'd like to be under 200 before I ship in January, which gives me 10 lbs. to lose.

I'm not tracking calories too closely, but I'm tracking macros like a hawk. I use an online calculator that lets you put in your macro percentages, so it works well for this.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Dr. Warren Willey uses a similar approach in his book Better Than Steroids. The window is shorter, but I would have to flip through to see how long it was. LTL might now.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn

I'm definitely liking the high fat approach. I made the mistake of not getting enough fat at first while low-carbing, and everyone who's made that mistake knows what happens. Luckily Publix has ground beef thats 75/25 lean to fat for $2.99/lb. I've already had 12oz complete with 3 slices of american cheese today for breakfast and lunch.

Why is anyone NOT doing this?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I'm definitely liking the high fat approach. I made the mistake of not getting enough fat at first while low-carbing, and everyone who's made that mistake knows what happens. Luckily Publix has ground beef thats 75/25 lean to fat for $2.99/lb. I've already had 12oz complete with 3 slices of american cheese today for breakfast and lunch.

Why is anyone NOT doing this?
I made the same mistake the first time around with low carbs. I wasn't getting enough fat.

I would love to see more people eat Paleo. Heck, I wish I could start over again at 18 and try it as an experiment.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn

Do you find yourself naturally eating more calories when you eat low carb? I find myself getting about 300 more calories when I go by hunger, but it could just be because my body is telling me it's missing something it usually gets by staying hungry.

Last night at 10pm my pregnant wife wanted pasta, so I made her pasta. I was already done eating for the day, and it made me crazy watching her eat it. Hadn't had any cravings until I had to watch that!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Sounds like a ketogenic diet. I tried to run that in 2009, but only made it 3-4 weeks, before I snapped. I love carbs so damn much, and hate veggies even more...so it didn't work too well for me.

Been thinking of trying it again, but the part of me that says eating so much fatty foods is bad won't shut up...
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I have used Shelby's 'macrotation' diet with very good success. It was easy to stick to, achieved my weightloss goals, still getting stronger, and never left me short of energy in the gym.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
Muscletrainerdh
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: DB Step Ups.. LOL:)
Fav Supp: F.O.O.D
Muscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributor

I am reading "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf and will probably start the diet on Monday.

I was introduced to it at the CrossFit games in August and while I'm not a Cross-fitter or espouse the Cross-Fit subculture, the book does make sense.
Muscletrainerdh is offline   Reply With Quote