Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Dr. Warren Willey uses a similar approach in his book Better Than Steroids. The window is shorter, but I would have to flip through to see how long it was. LTL might now.
He has a 24hour window but it's similar to anabolic diet otherwise.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletrainerdh View Post
I am reading "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf and will probably start the diet on Monday.

I was introduced to it at the CrossFit games in August and while I'm not a Cross-fitter or espouse the Cross-Fit subculture, the book does make sense.
You'll find a number of fans of paleo around here. Crossfit, not so much. Crossfit women, definitely!

I've always liked the idea of carb cycling, for the same reason I like intermittent fasting. It's all about extremes for short periods of time.

As for the Anabolic diet specifically, I like it because I get to combine fats and carbs during the carb loads. In fact, I'm SUPPOSED to combines fats and carbs.

"Well, I guess I'll have a couple slices of pizza and a beer. . .if you say so!"

I just got done with my first workout on the super low carbs, and I was surprised at how well it went. I think I might have finally found the diet that will best help me reach my goals!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
He has a 24hour window but it's similar to anabolic diet otherwise.

LtL
My plan for now is to carb load Friday evening and all of Saturday. Once I go to cut mode I'll do either Friday or Saturday alone. I had read about people having trouble cutting on two full days of carbs, so it makes sense.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

I've been "100% Paleo" for over 2 years now with no real cheats.

Last August I started a cyclical ketogenic diet that I followed until cherry season this past August.
On training days I would eat from 50g. to 100g. of CHO. On non-training days I would eat 30g. to 50g. of CHO.

Once every 2 weeks or so I would have huge feast day where I would eat non-stop 100% Paleo food for up to 11-12hrs. Literally non-stop!

A portion of that was during ski season. I did a lot of trail breaking with no bonking.

I eat a lot of saturated fat.

"Paleo" for me is what some might call extreme. I eat no refind oils at all, no dairy, no sweet potatoes, no processed foods, no pseudo-neolithic foods, etc............. Meat, fish, eggs, coconut oil, homemade tallow & lard, veggies and fruit. I drink water and black coffee. I eat 88% or darker chocolate before training with Gunpowder and mate' tea

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe

Last edited by Wlfdg; 09-09-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #15
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
My plan for now is to carb load Friday evening and all of Saturday. Once I go to cut mode I'll do either Friday or Saturday alone. I had read about people having trouble cutting on two full days of carbs, so it makes sense.
Sounds like a plan. I had great success on a full keto and later a CKD last year going from 95kg's to around 80kg's. Have you read any of Jamie Lewis' writings on his Chaos and Pain blog? He writes a lot about keto and carb' cycling and would be worth checking out.

Your plan sounds solid. The only thing I would add is to NOT carb' up at the end of the first week. You want to make sure you're fully depleted before carbing up. See how one long carb' up works for you. I might be inclined to do two smaller ones.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Sounds like a plan. I had great success on a full keto and later a CKD last year going from 95kg's to around 80kg's. Have you read any of Jamie Lewis' writings on his Chaos and Pain blog? He writes a lot about keto and carb' cycling and would be worth checking out.

Your plan sounds solid. The only thing I would add is to NOT carb' up at the end of the first week. You want to make sure you're fully depleted before carbing up. See how one long carb' up works for you. I might be inclined to do two smaller ones.

LtL
uhg. . .I guess I'll wait to carb up until next week. I've been carb cycling, but my low carb days haven't been low enough, as I found when I started tracking macros again three days ago.

The celebration will have to wait until next weekend.

BTW, I ate over 3000 calories yesterday and lost a lb. I know it's still water weight, but last time I ate over 3k cals was for a bulk and I gained a lot over the first few days.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post

BTW, I ate over 3000 calories yesterday and lost a lb. I know it's still water weight, but last time I ate over 3k cals was for a bulk and I gained a lot over the first few days.
All loss is good loss.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote