Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Low Carb & Paleo Diet (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   The Low Carb Diet Mistake I Made (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5660)

BendtheBar 03-18-2011 10:40 AM

The Low Carb Diet Mistake I Made

I mentioned this before, but I wanted to post it again because I believe it to be important.

I failed with a previous attempt at low carb (no grains, no starchy veggies) dieting for 2 reasons:

1) I was trying to eat lean meat and this became expensive.
2) I was trying to keep fats low because I hadn't done enough research and still feared fats.

This combination made me feel weak and poor.

jwood 03-18-2011 10:41 AM

Good to know btb, I will try not to make the same mistakes.

What cuts of meat do you find are your favorites and are the cheapest?

bamazav 03-18-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 123696)
I mentioned this before, but I wanted to post it again because I believe it to be important.

I failed with a previous attempt at low carb (no grains, no starchy veggies) dieting for 2 reasons:

1) I was trying to eat lean meat and this became expensive.
2) I was trying to keep fats low because I hadn't done enough research and still feared fats.

This combination made me feel weak and poor.

I have said this before too.

Fat is the new carb!

bigtim27 03-18-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 123697)

I've been having some good success and I've been using 85% ground beef ,eye round steak,fatty fish my macros the past week have been 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carb and I've been taking fiber supplement.

jwood 03-18-2011 10:50 AM

It seems to me that burgers with bacon on them are a key to success on the low carb diet.

My favorite, 2 weeks until my journey begins

BendtheBar 03-18-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 123697)

Well, hamburger is a staple for me. The higher the fat content, the cheaper the price. Hamburger patties are also a staple. I also like the convenience of deli roast beef and ham. I can roll a slab in between a slice of cheese and get a quick snack. Have to watch the pre-packaged deli meats though as they contain dextrose and other nonsense. They also tend to be very fat free.

My best advice is to not worry about fat, go with price, and either cook in olive oil or add butter. I generally also add a veggie of choice with butter as a side dish. Tastes great, and rich in fat.

Let's not forget eggs and cheese. I know some don't do dairy, but it's working for me. Mostly cheese and butter. Some milk and heavy cream.

LtL 03-18-2011 11:19 AM

This diet just gets more and more appealing! Bacon cheeseburgers, grilled meats, more cheese, fish, YUM!

LtL

bigtim27 03-18-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 123720)
This diet just gets more and more appealing! Bacon cheeseburgers, grilled meats, more cheese, fish, YUM!

LtL

I don't see whats not to love.

jwood 03-18-2011 11:24 AM

I think I am going to try to stick to true paleo for the first 30 days of my diet which means no dairy. Then I will probably add cheese back into the mix and see how it affects things.

My meals will basically be meat and veggies, not all bad there.

Around my workouts I will have fruit also, but then none for the rest of the day. I am going to use the shopping list off robbwolff.com, and consolidate the 4 weeks worth of items into one master list. Then I will hit the grocery store.

BendtheBar 03-18-2011 11:51 AM

I totally respect those who avoid dairy. As an old fart, the main source of my woes appears to be carb-based (white sugar, flour, grains, starchy carbs). I stay with dairy for the options.

At the end of the day I am hesitant to label what I do Paleo because it is more high fat, no-grain, starchy veggies, legumes, etc.