Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Kettlebell Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The Hungarian Core Blaster (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7105)

Aurik 08-18-2011 12:51 PM

The Hungarian Core Blaster

Here's a vid on how to build a Hungarian Core Blaster, which is great for two-handed kettlebell-type work. And the best part? You can build one for ~$10 in parts from your local hardware store plus the cost of weight plates:

BendtheBar 12-21-2012 04:28 PM

Making sticky so I don't lose this again.

5kgLifter 12-21-2012 04:32 PM

That would work well for swings but not for snatches; with snatches, you'd need a D-shaped handle such as on a kettle. But swings, in themselves, are great.

BendtheBar 12-21-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 304030)
That would work well for swings but not for snatches; with snatches, you'd need a D-shaped handle such as on a kettle. But swings, in themselves, are great.

Good point. I'll have to watch the video closely tonight to see how the handle is set up, and if I can set it up for alternative handles.

5kgLifter 12-21-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 304033)
Good point. I'll have to watch the video closely tonight to see how the handle is set up, and if I can set it up for alternative handles.

Some put a bar through the centre of the plates (best to use the smaller plates due to clearance) and attach the handle, that they fashion, on each end of the bar, with something like a nut etc. That way, the edges of the plates face down; however, that still may not work for snatches because the edges of the plates would slice into the forearm, if it got hit.

skinnyBo 12-21-2012 05:41 PM

That is a neat idea. Thanks also for your input 5kg. I do not really know much about kettlebells but you make a good point.

MikeM 12-22-2012 04:30 PM

That thing would be great for doing Strongman Duck Walks too. Or even a weight to toss over a bar like in highland games.

If I was using it as a kettlebell or a weight to toss, I'd only want that vertical pipe to be 6 inches, not 12.

You could also make a kettlebell type handle with pipe. Just attach U bends to the T and thread a 4 inch pipe from the end of one U bend to the end of the other. I would duct tape the connectons though if trying to snatch or clean it. Wouldn't want them to start unscrewing while you're using it. Same with the floor flange, a little tape to keep it from getting loose.

If fact, I think I will make one of these. Maybe two, so they could be used for farmer's type carries as well.

Actually, you could make one like 18" on the vertical with flanges at both ends and load that sucker up with 45s so it looks like a keg and use it as a keg for loading or as a simulated Atlas "stone". You'd need 1.75" pipe though instead of .75"

ChrisTheViking 02-20-2013 06:23 PM

You could also use something like Loctite or JB Weld if you didn't plan on breaking the handles down.

ChrisTheViking 02-20-2013 06:27 PM

Check this out.

TODAY! Fitness - How to Make Kettlebells