Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Kettlebell Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Looking to buy a Kettlebell... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6748)

5kgLifter 07-10-2011 11:23 AM

Looking to buy a Kettlebell...

I'd like anyone that has a KB to add to this thread in order to give reader's a better picture about the various styles/makes/brands of KBs on the market.

Please include the following information:

Manufacturer/name found on the KB
Material/s used in the KB (as seen/known)
Weight of KB you are describing (please state: lbs or kgs)
Dimension of the base (diameter)
Height of KB to the top of the handle
Width of KB (diameter of main bell part)
Width/circumference of handle (OR diameter if the manufacturer has stated it in their informational breakdown)
Length of handle (distance between horns, uprights of handle)
Depth of space between handle and KB
Whether the KB has any flat sides
Whether KB has any raised lettering anywhere on it
Dimensions of each KB within the make, if they vary in size
Whether the bases are flat or have nodules/bumps due to poor finishing
Any additional info you think may be helpful to the reader

Please also state whether you are using cms or inches in your stats.

Thank you for your help and I'm sure many will appreciate it since it is not easy to find the info online; please do not just post a link as it will not give the info in as much detail as a user of the said KB will be able to. The information that you are able to supply will permit people to ascertain whether a certain KB will be ideal for their hand size and usage etc.

Thank you.

5kgLifter 07-10-2011 11:23 AM

Reebok Studio KBs

Each KB in the Reebok Studio range varies in size depending on the weight.

8kg KB
Manufacturer/name found on the KB: Reebok
Material/s used in the KB (as seen/known): cast iron, base to handle covered in some sort of hardwearing vinyl
Weight of KB you are describing: 8kg KB
Dimension of the base (diameter): 3
Height of KB to the top of the handle: 7.5
Width of KB (diameter of main bell part): 4
Width/circumference of handle (OR diameter if the manufacturer has stated it in their informational breakdown): 1
Length of handle (distance between horns, uprights of handle): 4.25
Depth of space between handle and KB: 2.25
Whether the KB has any flat sides: none
Whether KB has any raised lettering anywhere on it: none
Whether the bases are flat or have nodules/bumps due to poor finishing: good finish, flat base

12kg KB
Material/s used in the KB (as seen/known): cast iron, base to handle covered in some sort of hardwearing vinyl
Weight of KB you are describing: 12kg
Dimension of the base (diameter): 3.25
Height of KB to the top of the handle: 8.5
Width of KB (diameter of main bell part): 4.75
Width/circumference of handle (OR diameter if the manufacturer has stated it in their informational breakdown): 1 and 3/16ths
Length of handle (distance between horns, uprights of handle): 4.75
Depth of space between handle and KB: 2.5
Whether the bases are flat or have nodules/bumps due to poor finishing: good finish, flat base

16kg KB
Weight of KB you are describing: 16kg
Dimension of the base (diameter): 4
Height of KB to the top of the handle: 9
Width of KB (diameter of main bell part): 5.5
Width/circumference of handle (OR diameter if the manufacturer has stated it in their informational breakdown): 1 and 3/16ths
Length of handle (distance between horns, uprights of handle): 5.5
Depth of space between handle and KB: 2.75

20kg KB
Weight of KB you are describing: 20kg KB
Dimension of the base (diameter): 4
Height of KB to the top of the handle: 9.5
Width of KB (diameter of main bell part): 6
Width/circumference of handle (OR diameter if the manufacturer has stated it in their informational breakdown): 1.25
Length of handle (distance between horns, uprights of handle): 5.5
Depth of space between handle and KB: 2.5 (yes, this is smaller than the 16kg for spacing)

All measurements in inches

5kgLifter 07-10-2011 11:24 AM

Olympian Steel Pro Grade KBs

8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg KBs

Manufacturer/name found on the KB: Olympian
Material/s used in the KB (as seen/known): Steel
Weight of KB you are describing: 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg KBs, all are uniform in their dimensions
Dimension of the base (diameter): 5.5
Height of KB to the top of the handle: 10.5
Width of KB (diameter of main bell part): 8.5
Diameter of handle: 1 and 3/8ths inches
Length of handle (distance between horns, uprights of handle): 4.75
Depth of space between handle and KB: 2.5 (+)
Whether KB has any raised lettering anywhere on it: lettering is pressed into the bell leaving a flush surface
Whether the bases are flat or have nodules/bumps due to poor finishing: flat bases, good finish to KBs
Any additional info you think may be helpful to the reader: paint dipped to the base of the horns, each weight conforms to the correct colour of the competition KBs, and the dimensions also conform to competition standard KBs

5kgLifter 07-10-2011 12:26 PM

Fitness Mad KBs

24kg KB

Manufacturer/name found on the KB: Fitness Mad
Weight of KB you are describing: 24kg KB
Dimension of the base (diameter): 4.5
Height of KB to the top of the handle: 10
Width of KB (diameter of main bell part): 7 and 3/8ths
Width/circumference of handle (OR diameter if the manufacturer has stated it in their informational breakdown): 1.5
Length of handle (distance between horns, uprights of handle): 6.25 (at top flare), 5.75 (mid-handle)
Whether the KB has any flat sides: two flat sides which run in line with the handle, not ideal for snatches due to the flat surface which will hit the arm.
Dimensions of each KB within the make, if they vary in size: no idea
Whether the bases are flat or have nodules/bumps due to poor finishing: flat base, good finish

5kgLifter 07-10-2011 12:27 PM

Tesco's KB

7.5kg (not sure about the maker, just the seller)

Manufacturer/name found on the KB: none
Weight of KB you are describing: 7.5kg KB
Dimension of the base (diameter): 2.75
Height of KB to the top of the handle: 7.5
Width of KB (diameter of main bell part): 4
Width/circumference of handle (OR diameter if the manufacturer has stated it in their informational breakdown): 1.25
Length of handle (distance between horns, uprights of handle): 5.25 (at the flare), 2.75 (base of flare) [a very flared handle]
Whether the KB has any flat sides: one flat side which runs in line with the handle, the reverse side can be used instead so it is still suitable for snatches.
Whether KB has any raised lettering anywhere on it: no raised lettering.
Dimensions of each KB within the make, if they vary in size
Whether the bases are flat or have nodules/bumps due to poor finishing: flat base, good finish
Any additional info you think may be helpful to the reader: handle flares outward at the top, so there is more space at the top than nearer the KB itself, not that it is an issue

Wlfdg 07-10-2011 02:51 PM

Hey 5kg Lifter, Not really sure what you're after here?

5kgLifter 07-10-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wlfdg (Post 151525)
Hey 5kg Lifter, Not really sure what you're after here?

The first post explains it. The posts that I've put above, I'll be editing and adding the info to, once I get the tape measure out :) If anyone else has a KB of a different make and can do the same, I'm sure people will find it useful.

For example, when a person sees a KB for sale, online, but is unaware that it may have two flat sides, they'd rather know that before considering their purchase but not all sellers will make these facts obvious and images don't always do so either.

Wlfdg 07-10-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 151526)
The first post explains it. The posts that I've put above, I'll be editing and adding the info to, once I get the tape measure out :) If anyone else has a KB of a different make and can do the same, I'm sure people will find it useful.

For example, when a person sees a KB for sale, online, but is unaware that it may have two flat sides, they'd rather know that before considering their purchase but not all sellers will make these facts obvious and images don't always do so either.

Got it! My weekend is coming up. I'll make some time to fill these out for all my bells.

5kgLifter 07-12-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wlfdg (Post 151622)
Got it! My weekend is coming up. I'll make some time to fill these out for all my bells.

Thanks, I'm sure others will appreciate it :) once my headache clears, I'll get to inserting the missing measurements in my posts above.