Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health > Kettlebell Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Kettlebell Training Discuss Kettlebell Training and Workouts

Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
ktb78

Training Type: General Fitness
ktb78 is off to a bad start
Default Vinyl or Cast Iron?

I've got very limited experience of the gym and my visits in the past have always been pretty infrequent. I've mainly stuck to running machines and swimming. I've always been a bystander when it comes to weight training and I'm just not that comfortable at the gym, its a confidence thing as I've never really got in shape since my teen years. I want to get some basic equipment for home and it sounds like Kettlebells are probably the sensible choice. I ain't ever going to have the dedication to get super ripped but I would like to try to get trimmed down and in better physical shape. I've recently quit smoking, have toned down my drinking and have improved my diet so the missing piece of the puzzle, is a good exercise regime. The question I have is what do I buy, are certain brands weighted better etc and is there a difference between Vinyl and Cast Iron? Thanks, Kim.
ktb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #2
JTM811
Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb78 View Post
I've got very limited experience of the gym and my visits in the past have always been pretty infrequent. I've mainly stuck to running machines and swimming. I've always been a bystander when it comes to weight training and I'm just not that comfortable at the gym, its a confidence thing as I've never really got in shape since my teen years. I want to get some basic equipment for home and it sounds like Kettlebells are probably the sensible choice. I ain't ever going to have the dedication to get super ripped but I would like to try to get trimmed down and in better physical shape. I've recently quit smoking, have toned down my drinking and have improved my diet so the missing piece of the puzzle, is a good exercise regime. The question I have is what do I buy, are certain brands weighted better etc and is there a difference between Vinyl and Cast Iron? Thanks, Kim.
One factor that you might consider is where is your workout room and how are you setting it up. Are you on concrete like a basement or garage or carpet? Are you going to use mats over the floor? Those factors can have an effect on both the flooring and equipment with regard to wear and tear.

Have you priced the difference in the equipment you're looking at? Weights don't have to be pretty, unless you never use them and they end up being pushed aside relagated to being a decoration in your house.

Regardless, good luck on your journey. You may surprise yourself and catch the iron bug and really enjoy weight training for a plethora of reasons. Don't be afraid to check out the vids and articles here which can help you in a number of areas.
JTM811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Nezzy
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef
Nezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machine

The only comment I would make regarding kettlebells is that you're going to need a lot of them in order to make any sensible progress. This is for three reasons:
1) the amount of weight you need for each exercise will vary considerably, you'll need something much heavier for a squat than for a biceps curl for example. Trying to find a weight suitable for every exercise will require a lot of kettlebells.
2) The secret to getting stronger, bigger, or generally more muscular (lean/toned/etc) is to progressively lift heavier weights. If you can do something with 15lb now, your goal is to do it with 20lb, once you can do 20lb the goal is 25lb etc.
3) A lot of good kettlebell exercises require you to have one in each arm.

I'd suggest a more sensible approach may be to get a barbell and weights to allow for adjustability and more consistent progress. There's also thousands of good barbell workout routines you can find. I'm sure there are plenty of kettlebell ones too, but the barbell has been the standard equipment for a century or more.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
bigalfry
Víđarr
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Yoke
bigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
The only comment I would make regarding kettlebells is that you're going to need a lot of them in order to make any sensible progress. This is for three reasons:
1) the amount of weight you need for each exercise will vary considerably, you'll need something much heavier for a squat than for a biceps curl for example. Trying to find a weight suitable for every exercise will require a lot of kettlebells.
2) The secret to getting stronger, bigger, or generally more muscular (lean/toned/etc) is to progressively lift heavier weights. If you can do something with 15lb now, your goal is to do it with 20lb, once you can do 20lb the goal is 25lb etc.
3) A lot of good kettlebell exercises require you to have one in each arm.

I'd suggest a more sensible approach may be to get a barbell and weights to allow for adjustability and more consistent progress. There's also thousands of good barbell workout routines you can find. I'm sure there are plenty of kettlebell ones too, but the barbell has been the standard equipment for a century or more.
I second this.
Most weights are sold by the pound. If you're using a 40lb kettlebell and want to increase the weight, you've gotta go drop $45 on a 45lb kettlebell. If you are using a conventional barbell and want to bump your weight up by 5lbs you can go out and drop $5 on a pair of 2.5lb plates and you're done.

This and space constraints are why the only kettlebells I have are the ones my wife bought.
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #5
ktb78

Me and my partner are living together and we have a spare room that we're clearing out. Its floor-boarded so we were thinking of getting a large matt to work on. My partner wants to get a balancing ball, and was quite keen on the Kettlebells idea herself. We've also considered buying a cross-trainer as its something else we can both use and will give an all round workout. I think if we buy a set of kettlebells between us, as long as there's some that either of us can use, then it should be an alright solution in the interim. I'll check-out some of the workout suggestions on the forum, see what best suits. I'm a big lad but my muscles are pretty pathetic considering my size so I've got a lot of work to do.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:43 AM   #6
bigalfry
Víđarr
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Yoke
bigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master memberbigalfry is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb78 View Post
Me and my partner are living together and we have a spare room that we're clearing out. Its floor-boarded so we were thinking of getting a large matt to work on. My partner wants to get a balancing ball, and was quite keen on the Kettlebells idea herself. We've also considered buying a cross-trainer as its something else we can both use and will give an all round workout. I think if we buy a set of kettlebells between us, as long as there's some that either of us can use, then it should be an alright solution in the interim. I'll check-out some of the workout suggestions on the forum, see what best suits. I'm a big lad but my muscles are pretty pathetic considering my size so I've got a lot of work to do.
Hey man, everybody starts somewhere. Best of luck on your foray into weights.
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:51 AM   #7
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!

In that case, highly recommend looking at a pair of adjustable KBs. Will actually save you money in the long term too, if you ever wanted to get more KBs otherwise...
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
ktb78

Thanks! Ordered myself a standard set of TNP vinyl's. I did have a look at the adjustable ones but figured a standard set would do just fine for now. Not breaking the bank too much. Just looking at some cross-trainers but although there are cheap ones available, I'm a little put off by the fact they will probably break after only a bit of use. There's some really mint ones but they cost thousands. Thinking prob going to have to spend about €600 for a good one looking at the reviews I've been reading.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
ktb78

Any ideas on well built cross-trainers for around the price I mentioned, or below? Thanks.