Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself to the Muscle and Brawn Community

Old 12-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
VA
Brawn
Points: 789, Level: 14 Points: 789, Level: 14 Points: 789, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Sumo Deadlift
Fav Supp: Teriyaki Chicken Bento
VA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good posts
Default (relatively) new to lifting

Hi all,

Took the (automated) suggestion and decided to introduce myself.

I'm 38 years old and have been doing some kind of exercise since I was about 20. About six months ago got bored with fitness-based programs, etc. and decided to try lower reps and go heavier.

Overall it has been great and it's definitely kept me interested - as motivation is a little hard, as I'm not motivated by having a bodybuilder physique, so having some weight goals has definitely helped.

Anyway, I'm a first time caller long time listener, and I've been really impressed at the information and time individuals give on this site and some others. Big kudos for that.

I suppose I might also mention a problem I've been having, to see if any of you have suggestions. About 4 months into my first 5x5 program (the reg park beginners) working into it very very slowly (and super light compared to most on this site) I started to get a 'stiff' lumbar region. I should also say that I got a PT, who knew what he was doing, and my form on squats and deads are pretty good (though I have to do sumo deads as have long legs, and my upper back rounds on heavier weight with conventionals). Anyway, I pulled the lumbar once in a situation unrelated to lifting (after yoga actually), and then had some significant time out. Went into spasms 3x in 3 months, and I think it was my squats that were aggravating it. But I had great physio and was all better until last week, when I did something similar trying a pendalay row. Ironically, I was trying the pendalays as my lower back was feeling strained after BB rows, but also RDLs.

So it seems that, as my physio said, I might have some kind of spinal weakness with one of the verterbrae there, right on the base of the spine.

I'm thinking that I probably will stick to front squats and just do one arm rows, and that should probably take out most of the potential lower back killers in the program. I wouldn't mind being able to do back squats, BB Rows, RDLs etc., but it won't keep me up at night, and risking more time out seems to me to outweigh the potential benefits.

Anyway, if anyone has something to add to this I'd be pleased to hear it. And if not thanks for tuning in anyway.

Cheers.
VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Do you have a significant anterior pelvic tilt?
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Welcome to MaB. Hopefully nothing serious...just weakness leaving the body. Take care and enjoy!

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Hi
Old 12-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Good to see you VA.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
VA
Brawn
Points: 789, Level: 14 Points: 789, Level: 14 Points: 789, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Sumo Deadlift
Fav Supp: Teriyaki Chicken Bento
VA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good postsVA has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Do you have a significant anterior pelvic tilt?
Thx for the responses....

I don't have a significant anterior pelvic tilt. But I may have a slight one. My physio said that I might have a weak core (which surprised me, as I do decent core work), since after walking about 2 hours my lower back hurts, which means that I am loading my lower back with some kind of pelvic tilt when walking. I've been doing more core work, but not sure that has done the trick...
VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Hunterace
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,415, Level: 84 Points: 17,415, Level: 84 Points: 17,415, Level: 84
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Welcome !

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote