Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Someone told me you were never to old ? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13315)

asu85260 04-14-2013 12:10 PM

Someone told me you were never to old ?

Hi All...quick history. I am 56 years old. 2 years ago is was at 485lbs. Not my bench...my WEIGHT !
I knew I had to change...or die. I choose to make a change. Long story short, today I am at 365 and "stuck". Gotten this far by cardio / moderate diet / crossfit style work. And I am stuck. Not dropping weight any longer in a consistent manner.

The crossfit experience turned me onto what I REALLY want to do. Powerlifting. I bought a power rack, created a home garage and recently started a beggining modified 5 x 5. I will warm up with 7 reps, add a little for 5 reps. Use working weight for 3 sets of 5.

My question is this, I want to compete in Powerlifting, and do so around 260 to 275 pounds. I am 6' 2" and feel that would be a good weight. Do I continue striving first for weight loss and then build power. Or take the fat loss approach while building muscle.

I am rookie here....any help or advice is appreciated !

Thanks all

IronWill 04-14-2013 12:21 PM

Well, first of all. No, it is never to late to improve your lot. As far as losing weight, I sure as hell can't tell you :D

Hunterace 04-14-2013 12:22 PM

Welcome :)! I'll let more experienced people help with your questions, but congrats on you loss so far!

BendtheBar 04-14-2013 12:30 PM

You train for progression, assuming you will get stronger, while losing weight.

It is possible to build strength while losing. I came back in 2007 weighing 310. I lost weight down to 228 while building my squat up to 500. It can be done, especially if you haven't reached hard strength walls.

I hope you will consider starting up a training log and joining us. We'll do everything we can to help you reach your goals.

Congrats on the weight loss. Tell us a little bit about how you eat now, and how long it's been since you lost any weight.

5kgLifter 04-14-2013 12:33 PM

Hi :)

bamazav 04-14-2013 12:46 PM

Steve is spot on here. Focus on gaining strength. If you eat at a slight deficit, which for most skinny folks would still be a lot of food, you will lose weight as you gain strength. At your current size, your maintenance level of calories are more than I would need to gain weight. Be patient, start with a slight deficit, about 250 calories and reconfigure after each ten pounds lost. You should build strength and lose weight at the same time. Too big a deficit and you will feel it in a bad way in the gym.

asu85260 04-14-2013 03:29 PM

Thanks all. I will post a better detail of what I am doing as far as diet and workout. I will find the log, and get started there as well. Thanks again !

leefarley 04-14-2013 04:00 PM

welcome to MAB

Ryano 04-14-2013 06:02 PM

Age is just a number, not an excuse. Build muscle, lose fat. Get stronger. Go ahead and enter a local PL meet to learn the ropes. It's competition between you and the weight anyway. Placing doesn't matter. Welcome to the forum and congrats on you weightloss so far.

Jim2542 04-14-2013 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 8261